CrowdSupport®
fn2199
Level 2: Rookie

Stuttering ring tone - Telstra MessageBank error

Answered

I switched a landline service which was with Telstra (with a Optus part product) to join it to my new Telstra NBN (NBN/100 FTTB) connection and all seemed to work fine for a week (normal ring tone). At some point, MessageBank was activated (not requested, nor required) and now the phone has a permanent stuck 'Stuttering' ringtone sound: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/home-phone/phone-line/why-does-my-dial-tone-sound-differ... (Telstra sample).

I have tried everything published on the online forums and Telstra CrowdSupport forums to fix it including:

1. Following the Telstra setup - https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/home-phone/features-settings/setup-activate-and-manage-y... instructions. Set up, PIN, *99# to activate; #99# to deactivate.

2. Activate the service and leave a message and going through the 'normal' retrieval process - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones/Stutter-tone-but-no-message/td-p/7676 . No dice.

3. Asking Telstra to pass the ticket to the Messagebank Fixed Service Faults Team - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones/Cancelled-Messagebank-but-still-have-stutter-tone.... Advised that team doesn't exist.

4. Attempted to get the right tech support via calling/live chat: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones/How-to-stop-the-stutter/td-p/67584 - but often put in Live Chat or phone queues of upwards of 40 to 50 minutes. 1800 815 700 was faster, but sent me back to do 1 and all the same checks that two Telstra Technicians came and did. The last one I tried (today) just didn't bother to call back after the line got disconnected in mid diagnosis - reference: INC04610510.

5. A restart of the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Technicolor DJA0231) device yields the same result - either way, the first time I did it, the ring tone was restored on initial check (but returned later). When the Tech literally pulled my cable out, and plugged it back in, the stutter ring tone was maintained. In any case, restarting the modem every so often is not an acceptable solution.

6. Raised a complaint and had a manager assigned who confirmed it was off at account level - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Stuttered-dial-tone/td-p/605016. Manager also tried the 'back office support' - no luck.

All calls to the landline ring through to no MessageBank service or pickup, however, MessageBank indicator is still implicitly active by the 'message waiting' ring tone. It happens irrespective of the phone on the line, a standard phone, non-message bank enabled, cordless, or even the tech's debugging handset/phone.

Telstra have sent out two technicians over two weeks to have a look at the issue - one a "standard" tech, who tried to pass it off as a "normal" ring tone - until I showed him the page which highlighted the stuttering ring tone example (https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones/Why-does-my-dial-tone-sound-different/ta-p/490855); the other a "Platinum" technician who the Telstra manager said was the 'expert'. Unfortunately, he was not able to fix it nor knew who in Telstra could. I don't doubt his ability though, and he knew right away when his normal 'trick' didn't work, he had no ability to fix it. My reference is: SR 1-1809599027776

Is there any one who knows any key words, phrases or description of the problem that can direct this to the correct support team - I have searched other forum threads: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2706655, and it seems, it is always a bit of a hit and miss with finding the right team/person in Telstra to fix the issue? Are there any recommended ways that this can be referred to that can actually resolve the issue? The complaints manager is trying and is wanting to get it fixed, but doesn't seem to quite understand the issue - and I don't want to waste their time, and any one else's time. They were even trying to get NBN to come out and check it...(!).

This may seem a trivial problem but the process in identifying the issue and trying up techs has flow on impacts to other people who have services that don't actually work. Also it appears there was the ability in the past to fix this, but it cannot be done now, or this skill has been lost... Accepting this as "can't fix it, just live with it" will be a like just accepting all product and service defects/bugs as just "features"... It is really frustrating that I can't seem to get this to the right team/people...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fn2199
Accepted Solution

Re: Stuttering ring tone - Telstra MessageBank error

To close this one out - my issue was finally fixed by the "Telstra Networks (Level 2 Support)".

As suspected, the problem was 100% always on the Telstra side, however, when asked they did not provide any details.

This is a month after working with the complaints manager who arranged:
1. Multiple diagnosis
2. Sending out a technician (who was unable to help, and tried to convince me the problem was 'normal')
3. Escalation, querying the 'back office team'
4. Sending out a technician ("Expert" Platinum technician) - that admitted they could not fix it
5. Raising the complaint to the 'support' team - who did not call me back when the line dropped out
6. Escalation to NBN
7. Escalation to Telstra Networks Level 2 Support (who kept me on the phone for 10 minutes while they typed out an email).

For others stuck in the same position, it looks like you may just need to play the game and let Telstra waste money trying to diagnose it.

I have provided feedback to Telstra that the learnings of this be reviewed so that future issues are directed faster and more accurately to the team that can fix it; and that people are not inconvenience by this "bug".

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 25: The Singularity

It is quite a simple fix, just ring 132200 and ask the consultant to remove messagebank from your service (assuming that you don't want it).

Btw, you requested it when you signed up. It is a standard inclusion in the phone service.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
fn2199

Thanks, but it's not that simple, nor do I think you took time to read the post - it is most definitely "off" according to the "system" and everyone I have talked to in Telstra. The problem is there is an issue in recognition of the "real" or "true" status.

Going out on a limb here, but try calling 125102 from your mobile, then follow the prompts to check the messagebank messages on your home phone (after the 125102, dial your full number including area code, the pin will be the last 4 or 6 digits of your number). It could be that the NBN system has left a ghost message (sometimes the old and new systems get "confused" for want of a better term).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
fn2199

Cheers, appreciate your response. I gave the 125102 call from the mobile it a try, and got in, but the nice lady says "You have no messages". I've read possibly every thread here on this issue, but cannot find a suitable resolution. The only thing that explains it is a coding error and I have to find the right tech that knows how to fix it... Let me know if you have any other ideas, I would really like to have the 'normal' ring tone back for good...
fn2199

Just adding some additional information:
Going through - the only thing that changed since the time it worked properly for a period - i.e., proper/normal ring tone; was the enabling of "Caller ID" from the Telstra My Account home page. I can't correlate this 100% though, but it was the _only_ thing I made any change to on the service.

Would the activation of Caller ID to "On" have anything to do with MessageBank? (I can't see how, but then again, I then again, I don't have visibility of what happens on the Telstra back end or how the services interact...)?
fn2199
Accepted Solution

To close this one out - my issue was finally fixed by the "Telstra Networks (Level 2 Support)".

As suspected, the problem was 100% always on the Telstra side, however, when asked they did not provide any details.

This is a month after working with the complaints manager who arranged:
1. Multiple diagnosis
2. Sending out a technician (who was unable to help, and tried to convince me the problem was 'normal')
3. Escalation, querying the 'back office team'
4. Sending out a technician ("Expert" Platinum technician) - that admitted they could not fix it
5. Raising the complaint to the 'support' team - who did not call me back when the line dropped out
6. Escalation to NBN
7. Escalation to Telstra Networks Level 2 Support (who kept me on the phone for 10 minutes while they typed out an email).

For others stuck in the same position, it looks like you may just need to play the game and let Telstra waste money trying to diagnose it.

I have provided feedback to Telstra that the learnings of this be reviewed so that future issues are directed faster and more accurately to the team that can fix it; and that people are not inconvenience by this "bug".

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now