Dectuser
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra 13550 DECT6.0 cordless phone loses time setting

Answered

I have a 3-station 13550 cordless phone system.

I'm able to set the date and time on one handset and have it automatically update on the other 2.  However, some time later, the date and time revert to a different time and date, some 18 or so days ago.  I've tried confirming the new date on each of the handsets, but it still reverts.

How can I get the system to keep the proper date and time settings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dectuser
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra 13550 DECT6.0 cordless phone loses time setting

Here is the response I received:

There are two reasons we know of that can cause this issue:

1. When caller id is activated, no matter how many times the date and time are manually set on the phone it will automatically adjust to the network time on each incoming call
    If the network time is wrong the phone will therefore have the wrong date and time
    In this instance you would need to refer back to your network provider

2. The Telstra branded home phones are designed, tested and supported to work on a PSTN (copper line) connection. When it is connected to a VOIP box, there maybe an incompatability with how information is being interpreted.  In this instance again you would need to refer back to your network provider to see if there is a solution, but it may just be an issue of incompatability.

Given that you have an 8200a that is working, we can only suggest bypassing the GE phone as you have mentioned.

Failing this we would suggest connecting the 13550 directly into a standard PSTN (copper line) connection and see if the problem replicates to know if it is a phone fault or otherwise.

I disconnected the GE phone and the 13550 now displays the correct time!  Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Dectuser, if this has been an ongoing issue then the best people to contact for help would be the teams on 1300 369 193 or via the email address tcpsupport_au@vtech.com.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Dectuser

Thank you, Greg.

I've sent them an e-mail, and will post the resolution when I get it.

Dectuser
Accepted Solution

Here is the response I received:

There are two reasons we know of that can cause this issue:

1. When caller id is activated, no matter how many times the date and time are manually set on the phone it will automatically adjust to the network time on each incoming call
    If the network time is wrong the phone will therefore have the wrong date and time
    In this instance you would need to refer back to your network provider

2. The Telstra branded home phones are designed, tested and supported to work on a PSTN (copper line) connection. When it is connected to a VOIP box, there maybe an incompatability with how information is being interpreted.  In this instance again you would need to refer back to your network provider to see if there is a solution, but it may just be an issue of incompatability.

Given that you have an 8200a that is working, we can only suggest bypassing the GE phone as you have mentioned.

Failing this we would suggest connecting the 13550 directly into a standard PSTN (copper line) connection and see if the problem replicates to know if it is a phone fault or otherwise.

I disconnected the GE phone and the 13550 now displays the correct time!  Thank you.

Dectuser

Postscript Re: Telstra 13550 DECT6.0 cordless phone loses time setting

As it turns out, the problem was not with the GE Phone, but with the VoIP box - it didn't have the time set properly and was throwing both the GE and the 13550 out.  That has now been fixed.

As a suggestion for future manuals - perhaps a few lines covering this type of issue explaining where the phone gets its time from might be useful?  I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has experienced it - there must be thousands of people out there who have been frustrated and spent hours trying to fix their problem.

If the phone gets its time from upstream devices, why is there a feature in the phone to set the date and time in the first place?   That's why it needs to be explained in the manual.

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more