Highlighted
knitwit
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra 503 Handset issue - Data sync message

Answered
Spoiler
Our 503 phone handset has 'Data sync' on the display screen and the handset has stopped working.  I've tried to re-register the handset with our Gateway NBN modem, but the Registering/pairing requires a PIN which I have no idea what this number is and have no recollection of ever entering a PIN to register the phone when first installing.  We are currently without a home phone, so please help re-connect us.  Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra 503 Handset issue - Data sync message

The other handset you have should work with the base plugged into the green phone port on the gateway.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES
Level 22: Superhuman

Hey, could try 0000 or 1234 Alternatively, you could change the pin following the instructions here https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/telstra-t-voice-503-ug-310117.pd... on page 33
For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:
knitwit

Sorry, I accidentally clicked your response as an Accepted Solution (I was trying to un-check the box!)
I have tried all the regular standard PIN's sent with hardware (0000, 1111, 9999, etc), but the problem is with the handset. There is no point trying to change the PIN (as per p33 of the manual) as I don't know the original PIN.
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I'm going to try and pair another phone with the modem. The NBN crashed in our area recently and we've had to reset several devices as a result.

Have you by any chance tried resetting the phone?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:

The pin is stored in the gateway. You can view the pin by logging into the gateway. Depending on gateway IP address is either http://10.0.0.138 or http://192.168.0.1 and default ID password is admin/admin.

For TG799, TG7800, Testra Smart Modem or Telstra Gateway Frontier go to Advanced > Telephony > DECT See section 16 and 17 of Testra Smart Modem or Telstra Gateway Frontier

For Sagemcom F@st5355 see section 16 and 17 of unofficial manual

knitwit

Thank you both very much for your prompt responses to my problem.
I found the PIN, but the handset is still not 'registering' when pairing with the Gateway. The Gateway is saying there is a handset registered/paired/ready, but unfortunately, the handset doesn't know it! I've reset the handset and tried to unpair the DECT device from the Gateway, but neither has made a difference.
I'm going to sleep on it and try and get it sorted tomorrow.
Thanks again.
knitwit

Still pondering...aaargh!!
I was just reading other comments about similar situations and the batteries in the handset may be to blame. I've taken them out and put them back with the same results, but I'm now wondering if they need replacing - they're not regular types, so I'll have to source some. The other handsets I have are not compatible with the Gateway 5355, so either way I'm going shopping tomorrow (and not the fun kind!!!)
Accepted Solution

The other handset you have should work with the base plugged into the green phone port on the gateway.
knitwit

Thank you so much, cf4, for your excellent knowledge and expertise. I finally have a working phone system!
I've plugged the new phone, as you suggested, into the modem and put the old Telstra one in the drawer, ready to be thrown out in a couple of years when I remember it doesn't work. I've also thrown away the old handset system which I was trying to replace, when this whole mess started.
I'd got myself into a complicated loop trying to get one of the three systems working, getting more and more tangled trying to sort out this seemingly minor problem.
Thanks again and have a great week!
Beesleys
Level 1: Cadet

Hey I keep getting the Data Sync Message as well. I cant seem to access the above responses.
knitwit

Hey Beesleys,

I'm sorry I don't really have a complete answer as to how to solve this problem.  I ended up putting my Telstra handset in a cupboard for throwing away in due course!.  I've purchased another Uniden system and have plugged it into my Gateway modem and all is working again.

In theory, the handset should be 'sync-ed' to the modem automatically, but maybe you need to try it manually.  There's a manual on this website which talks you through it, but you need a PIN which my handset rejected.  As I mentioned, I gave up.

If only we could actually speak to someone with the answers at the Communications [!!!??!!!] company, instead of ending up in a loop and them signing up to a site with other lost souls receiving stickers and avatars with level upgrades (what the....?!)

Anyway, good luck and I hope you're able to solve your problem without too much more fuss.

Feeling your frustration,

knitwit

Support Team
Support Team

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your handset.

Can I ask if you are still experiencing this at present since sending this message?

Please let me know so I can help.

- Stef

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

knitwit

Hi Stef;
Thanks for the offer of help. I don't have the original problem anymore because I threw the Telstra handset away and connected a new phone system, which works fine now.
My earlier response (to which you replied) was to someone else who had found my original query and was having the same problem.
Now my gripe is with Telstra as a "Communications" company that is unable/unwilling to communicate with its customers and has spent a lot of time and money creating this CrowdSupport Community website instead of directly supporting its customers who have genuine problems with their phone systems.
It's downright cheeky using, rather than employing, customers to answer other customers' queries. I've wasted a ridiculous amount of time on this site, with 'try this' assistance from kind, well-meaning people, instead of trained, knowledgeable support staff.
The whole avatar, badges and level upgrades is an absolute insult to my intelligence and a ludicrous attempt at trying to 'win over' and placate agitated, frustrated customers.
Thankfully, I no longer need assistance from Telstra (or whomever happens upon my query!).

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more