CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
BobbyW
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Call Guardian 301 MKII

Answered

I have just received my Call Guardian 301 MKII from Telstra. The reason I got this phone was due to the high volume of unwanted calls coming in from various sources, overseas call centers, scammers, & the latest .. scammers that spoof a fake CID numbers. The "do not call list" is a joke...even legitimate business ignore them regularly. So this phone seemed to tic all the boxes.

I read the booklet twice before attempting to set it up for use because there seemed to be quite a few options I've never seen before, & this phone will take some getting used to.

I entered all my contacts so they can all get straight through. Then I entered all the blocked numbers from my now old cordless Panasonic handset, which held a maximum of 30 blocked numbers (the CG301 touts 1,000 blocked numbers).

My Problem: This is where I hit the "brick wall".

Where do I need to go to view all the numbers that I have already manually entered into the "Blocked Numbers", & where I would imagine future blocked (up to 1,000) numbers will reside. Same goes for "Allowed Numbers".....how can I view them??  Smiley Frustrated

I know there will come a day when I will have to move numbers between the lists of blocked & allowed numbers, or more importantly I'll simply need to verify the proper number was input into the proper list, properly.

So, the million dollar question of the day: Where & How can I view all my manually & automatically stored "Blocked" & "Allowed" numbers in the CG301 MKII??

Being able to view these numbers is absolutely vital! Smiley Frustrated

Thank you for taking the time to read this, & hopefully I will be able to thank you again when you provide me with a solution to my puzzling dilemma. Heart

BobbyW. Smiley Wink

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BobbyW
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Call Guardian 301 MKII

Thanks for the BAD NEWS ....... but, then again I should have figured knowing the source of the problem.

Well, I just can't understand why the engineers of this phone forgot....or ignored....such an important feature as being able to view the BLOCKED NUMBERS LIST!??

And to add agony to insult they also did the same with the inability to remove an individual number from the unviewable blocked number list, no, if you want to delete a number errantly entered into the blocked number list, you have to first guess if it is, or might be in there, & then enter it into the allowed list....hope it's entered correctly this time because the phone wont let you know it's a duplicate entry, or if its in there incorrectly, because you have no access to the ALLOWED LIST either.

Or then again you can use a very nifty feature...<sarcasm>..being you aren't allowed to delete an individual blocked number, you can just undo all the hard work you have done manually blocking 100 or so numbers, not to mention all the ones the machine added automatically, you can simply just delete ALL THE BLOCKED NUMBERS.....up to 2,000 of them.....with one or two button presses.

Now that's a sweet feature....<sarcasm>.....I wonder what imbecile thoughtful TELSTRA Employee thought that one up?

Like who, in their right mind would say, I think I entered the wrong number, but I cant look to verify this, so what the hell, to fix that I'll just delete all the blocked numbers in the machine, & bring them all back to life.....maybe reenter them again.....ohh joy.....my time means nothing....just I hope I don't make any mistakes....me with my dyslexia and all.....

The brain trust there at TELSTRA were on vacation with this one. How did they miss this important feature...one so vital!??

Maybe they just willy-nilly ordered 20,000 or so phones, just for fun, or just because they like the power of spending someone else's money......

With all that said.........Otherwise the phone seems to work fine. Smiley Frustrated

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Support Team
Support Team

Hi BobbyW, 

Thanks for reaching out, I've located a 70 plus page userguide that I've skimmed over & Aren't 100% sure it has what you're looking for, you can check that out here 

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/support/pdf/home-phone/Telstra-Call-Gaurdian-30...

Get back to me if you need further assistance.

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

BobbyW

@ Angela_H

Thanks for your response.

I have that User Manual, & the newest/latest one also.....unfortunately, even though it is quite detailed, it has no citations regarding viewing the "Block Numbers List", or the "Allowed Numbers List", which should contain both manual entries, & in regards to blocked number entries, numbers entered automatically via selections made during & after calls are received.

There must be a way to access the "Block Numbers List" on the Telstra Call Guardian 301.

Every phone I've ever seen, including my Panasonic KX-TG8162 Portable Answering Machine System, that includes Number Blocking ( the Panasonic only has 30 total entries available Smiley Sad ), there has always been access to a "Block Numbers List".

Angela.....Going forward.........Where do we go from here? As a last resort, can the Manufacturer (whoever they are) be contacted??

Anyone?

Again, thanks for taking the time to read my response, & again, I will hopefully be answering you with thanks for finding the answer to my "Million Dollar Question"......

BobbyW

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi BobbyW

Unfortunately I do not have one of these handsets to test with myself. 

If you head into the "Menu, Call Control, Call Guardian and then Block Numbers" or possibly "Calls List and Block Number" there isn't a list of previously stored numbers?

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

BobbyW

@ AlistairQWA

Thanks for responding.

No.

When I go to that location, in "Block Numbers" as you suggest, & logic would dictate, there are only 3 options:

1. Add Number - where you can manually add another number to block.

2. Area Codes - I imagine you can block entire area codes there.

3. Delete All - you can delete ALL blocked numbers, which is like reopening the gates of hell & letting all the demons have at you all over again!!!

Now if the Call Guardian let you selectively delete a specific blocked number, well then they would have to show the list of all the numbers, which would solve the problem, but no, if you select to "Delete All" then the phone responds "Are you sure you want to Delete All Blocked Numbers?" which, unless your an idiot, you would answer emphatically NO........then again, if one was to keep a manual written list of their hundreds of blocked numbers, in their boredom they might just ....for some ungodly reason........want to re-enter them all again.....

Thanks Alistair.......but the jury is still out waiting for a solution to my initial posted question/problem. Smiley Sad

BobbyW

Does anyone in Telstra actually know how this TELSTRA product actually functions?

Surely, Telstra must support it's own products......especially one that has their name stamped all over it!?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi BobbyW, 

We're looking into this and will post on this thread when we have an answer.

billrodgers
Level 5: Eagle Eye

You just add the number that you have previously blocked and now want to allow to 'allow'.
Support Team
Support Team

Hey BobbyW,

We're looking to get this information for you and are waiting to hear back from some resources, please hang tight!

beacon43
Level 1: Cadet

Well done, I have had my phone for nearly three weeks and followed the booklet to a tee, doing everything you have written.

After finding this thread late last week I was pleased to see your post as I also thought I was doing something wrong.

I inadvertently blocked the wrong number and trying to delete or allow that number is impossible without deleting all the block numbers.

What a fail.....

billrodgers

Just add it to your allowed list. I've tested and it works.
I'd agree it would be great to see these lists but it's up to 1000 numbers and could be a resources issue to retrieve it.
If you really trust the person add that number to your VIP list. You can see that list.
billrodgers

An issue here might be that 'ok, now with the number in allowed it always gets through'.
You see the number (if caller id is active) and can see the caller info if it's in your address book.
It's still your choice whether you accept or reject the call.
The Guardian is more for numbers you don't know.
BobbyW

@ Big_Dan

I'm still waiting for your sources. Have you heard from them yet?

For a Telstra Product, there are very few people who know much about it, people you would expect (Telstra Product Support People) to know something as common as this.....where do you find a "list of blocked numbers" on this phone, a phone touted & sold primarily because it blocks numbers & the numbers can be manually entered......move from blocked to allowed, & back again......how can this be verifiable accomplished without access to either "Allowed or Blocked Numbers" to verify with or from....all the phones I've checked that do this, provide access to these lists.....not rocket science here.  

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Apologies for the delay. Our test bench is currently in the middle of a transition so we are unable to test this ourselves, but once it's back in operation we'll be able to test this and get back to you with an answer.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi BobbyW,

I have been able to confirm that there is no way to view the list of blocked numbers, I am not sure how far back in time the list of recent calls will go. However, as soon as you add a phone number as a contact in the Address Book, it will remove it from the block list until such a time that you choose to block or unblock that contact via the Address Book.

BobbyW
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the BAD NEWS ....... but, then again I should have figured knowing the source of the problem.

Well, I just can't understand why the engineers of this phone forgot....or ignored....such an important feature as being able to view the BLOCKED NUMBERS LIST!??

And to add agony to insult they also did the same with the inability to remove an individual number from the unviewable blocked number list, no, if you want to delete a number errantly entered into the blocked number list, you have to first guess if it is, or might be in there, & then enter it into the allowed list....hope it's entered correctly this time because the phone wont let you know it's a duplicate entry, or if its in there incorrectly, because you have no access to the ALLOWED LIST either.

Or then again you can use a very nifty feature...<sarcasm>..being you aren't allowed to delete an individual blocked number, you can just undo all the hard work you have done manually blocking 100 or so numbers, not to mention all the ones the machine added automatically, you can simply just delete ALL THE BLOCKED NUMBERS.....up to 2,000 of them.....with one or two button presses.

Now that's a sweet feature....<sarcasm>.....I wonder what imbecile thoughtful TELSTRA Employee thought that one up?

Like who, in their right mind would say, I think I entered the wrong number, but I cant look to verify this, so what the hell, to fix that I'll just delete all the blocked numbers in the machine, & bring them all back to life.....maybe reenter them again.....ohh joy.....my time means nothing....just I hope I don't make any mistakes....me with my dyslexia and all.....

The brain trust there at TELSTRA were on vacation with this one. How did they miss this important feature...one so vital!??

Maybe they just willy-nilly ordered 20,000 or so phones, just for fun, or just because they like the power of spending someone else's money......

With all that said.........Otherwise the phone seems to work fine. Smiley Frustrated

beacon43
Level 1: Cadet

Well said, BobbyW

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now