CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
tccack
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Call Guardian 301 and Smart Modem

Answered

Hi there...

I have a Telstra Call Guardian 301 (twin handsets) which was connected to the green phone port on my Gateway Max TG799vac. This worked perfectly.

After never ending dropouts with NBN I have changed the modem over to the telstra smart modem (Technicolor DJA0230) so that the 4g fallback is there.

Changing this over however has resulted in the phone not working (I get a line fault on the phone screen)

Is this because its in fallback (which seems like a odd thing given its a fallback connection) or have I missed some identification type steps.

I have plugged everything in according to the book (which matched the old gateway in any case). I've tried both phone port 1 and 2.

Thanks

Tony

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Call Guardian 301 and Smart Modem

For the phone to work with 4G backup the modem must have firmware 17.2.0406-820-RC or 17.2.0468-820-RA. The firmware can be checked by logging into the modem and going to Advanced > Gateway. The modem also has to be configured and this is done automatically when modem is connected on main link.

Check if phone light is green. If the phone light on the modem is green and phone is compatible with modem phone should work. If phone light is off then either firmware in modem is not the right firmware or the modem has not been connected to main link long enough for phone settings in modem to be configured.

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

Yes the firmware will update itself if connected to main link. I am not sure if it updates over a 4G backup connection.  17.2.0288-820-RA is the original software and did not support a voice service over 4G backup.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

For the phone to work with 4G backup the modem must have firmware 17.2.0406-820-RC or 17.2.0468-820-RA. The firmware can be checked by logging into the modem and going to Advanced > Gateway. The modem also has to be configured and this is done automatically when modem is connected on main link.

Check if phone light is green. If the phone light on the modem is green and phone is compatible with modem phone should work. If phone light is off then either firmware in modem is not the right firmware or the modem has not been connected to main link long enough for phone settings in modem to be configured.

tccack

Ahhh

It's showing firmware 17.2.0288-820-RA.

Yep light is off...

Will the firmware update itself?

Accepted Solution

Yes the firmware will update itself if connected to main link. I am not sure if it updates over a 4G backup connection.  17.2.0288-820-RA is the original software and did not support a voice service over 4G backup.

tccack

Excellent thanks for the answers

Tony

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now