Lme63
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Easy Control 202 handsets not ringing

After registering the two handsets to my Gateway Max modem (with the help of Telstra) neither handset rings. I have checked the troubleshooting solutions. The ringer is not turned off. The DND is not displayed. I cannot find Call Block in the main menu or anywhere else?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Telstra Easy Control 202 handsets not ringing

Hi Lme63

A few questions to get the full picture. 

- What model number is your gateway?

- What type of broadband connection do you have?

- What cables are connected to where on the modem?

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Lme63

The model number of the Gateway Max is TG799vac.

I have NBN Standard Plus Speed.

The cable from the phone base is connected to Phone 1 green socket at the back of the modem. DSL cable to wall socket and power cable to power point.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you have registered the phone to the Gateway rather than the phone base then things may be a bit confusing for your handsets as they are getting conflicting line inputs. 
The best plan for this would be registering the handsets back to the phone base unit so it only uses the phone connection on the green port rather than 2 at once. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Lme63

How do I register the handsets back to the phone base?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It should just be a matter of going into the settings, system and registration. De-register the handsets. Hold the Page button on the base for about 5-10 seconds and it will start flashing. Register the phones again this time to the base. 

- AlistairQWA

Lme63

I cannot deregister the handsets as I have lost half of the menu items when I registered the handsets with the gateway. There is only a register option under Advanced Settings.

I will start at the beginning. When I received the new phones I charged them for 16 hours then plugged the phone cord to Phone 1 socket in the modem and power cord to the wall. I had no dial tone. I rang Telstra and they asked me if I had registered the handsets to the Gateway Max modem. I said no, I didn't know I had to. They told me to hold in the DECT button on the side of the modem for 10-15 secs then press the green pick up key on the handset to register the handset to the modem. Success, I had a dial tone but when Telstra rang for a test call I saw the number on the handset screen but no sound from the handset. I was told to check the phone guidebook which I did and found that half of the menu items had disappeared from the menu on the handset. I then came to this forum and found another person had the same problem. I phoned Telstra back and after carrying out their checks, they said my new handsets might be faulty so they would send out another set. I have received the new set, charged them but I don't know what to do now. I am afraid that if I register them with the gateway as with the other ones, I will also lose half of the menu items and be in the same situation as before. They have also redirected all incoming calls to a mobile so how can I check if the new handsets will ring unless I undo the redirection? If I undo the redirection, what are the keys to press to reinstate the redirection if the phones still don't ring? 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You want to register them to the phone base instead of the gateway modem as I would assume the features that disappeared on the phone were specific to the base. 

Calling out should be fine to test with the diversion active. 

Technical support could assist by removing the diversion and giving the home line a call to make sure everything goes smoothly this time. 

- AlistairQWA

Lme63

I have reset the modem and registered the handsets to the base as suggested. All of the menu items are now present on the handsets but I do not have a dial tone! I am back to square one. When I phoned Telstra a week ago and told them I had no dial tone that is when they told me to register the handsets to the gateway. I did have a dial tone then but half the menu items disappeared and the handsets would not ring! I am not really worried about not having all of the menu items. I just want a phone to have a dial tone and ring on incoming calls!

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Lme63,

Please contact us on 1800 834 273 from an alternative phone service and our team will look into this further.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now