MarkMaleny
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Exicom wall plate connector corrosion

Answered

I have a corroded connectors in my Telstra Exicom A91/83I/0341 wall plate. It's causing dead or crackling connections. I have another jack in the house that is fine. So it is definitely this wall plate. You can actually see the green and black corrosion on the copper wires inside the connectors (NOT gold, alas!). See red box in photo. That's where the corrosion is.

How can I fix this? Scraping the wires has not worked, using a earbud and Brasso has not worked. I have to replace something here. What to replace, and where to get it?

The wall plate is about 20 years old, RJ11 or RJ12, using blue and white wires only.

telstra-wallplate.jpg

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
MarkMaleny
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Exicom wall plate connector corrosion

I've just pulled that socket apart, and found the back of the board all corroded. Pulled out the wires, and the other socket stopped working, so this faulty socket is the main socket, and can be repaired free by Telstra, yay.

Connected the white to white and blue to blue, and the other socket now working better than ever.
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Yes, it's a free call.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12

You are not legally allowed to touch it yourself. You need to get a licenced cables.

Either call 132203 and report the fault to Telstra and ask for a Technician to come out and replace the socket, or contact an electrician (as most electricians have a cablers licence) to replace it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MarkMaleny

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to pay a Telstra tech $130 or whatever for 10 minutes work to fix this simple problem.

I could fix it myself in a jiffy. My Dad was an electrician and I helped him on many jobs, so I know my way around wiring. But apparently I'd be breaking the law here in Australia.

I'll have to abandon that socket.

Looking at the wiring on that socket, it looks like it is connected to another socket.

If it is left connected, it will affect the connections to the other socket. If disconnected, it could disconnect the other socket.
MarkMaleny
Accepted Solution

I've just pulled that socket apart, and found the back of the board all corroded. Pulled out the wires, and the other socket stopped working, so this faulty socket is the main socket, and can be repaired free by Telstra, yay.

Connected the white to white and blue to blue, and the other socket now working better than ever.
MarkMaleny

Jeebus, just spent 1 hour 9 minutes with Telstra "Online chat" without being able to arrange a technician visit!

What the hell is wrong with the support at Telstra? This is shocking. He basically kept saying things like "I will help you shortly" etc for over an hour. Here's some of the transcript:

-------------------------------
Duration (actual chatting time) 01:09:18
Operator Satish
Chat Transcript
Info: You’re now chatting with Codi – Telstra’s Virtual Assistant.
Info: Please ask a question below.
Codi - Virtual Assistant: Hi, I'm Codi - Telstra's Virtual Assistant.
Codi - Virtual Assistant: In a short sentence, let me know how I can help you today.
Mark: I need a technician to visit to repair my main socket in house
Codi - Virtual Assistant: Sorry, I didn't get that.
So I can help, try asking your question a different way.
Mark: Technician repair
Codi - Virtual Assistant: Are you currently on the nbn™?
Codi - Virtual Assistant: << Sent Rich Content >>
Mark: No
Codi - Virtual Assistant: Let me get you through to someone who can help with this.
Codi - Virtual Assistant: So I can transfer you, please provide your name.
Mark: Mark
Codi - Virtual Assistant: Thanks. I’ll transfer you now.
Codi - Virtual Assistant:
Info: Please wait while your chat is transferred to the appropriate group.
Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Thank you for your patience.
Info: You are now chatting with Ronnalyn.
Mark: Main phone socket in house stopped working. Need a technician to come and repair it.
Ronnalyn: Hi, you can call me Ronna. How are you doing today?
Mark: Good thanks
Ronnalyn: That's great to hear. Thanks for bringing this up to our attention. Just to confirm, what you're requesting for is a tech to be sent to your address to repair the socket. Is that correct?
Mark: Yes
Mark: It's the main socket
Mark: Full of corrosion
Ronnalyn: I can definitely check on how you can get the main socket. Can I have your name and date of birth, please?
Mark: ****************
Ronnalyn: I have sent you a 6 digit verification code on your mobile, please check if you have it already and provide it to me, please.
Mark: *****
Ronnalyn: What I'll do is check on how a tech can be sent to your address.
Mark: Thanks
Ronnalyn: I'll also ask some questions to help me resolve your enquiry. Is that okay?
Ronnalyn: Thanks. Just looking into your account now.
Ronnalyn: Is the service still working, though?
Mark: Yes. Because I have wired it to work on the secondary socket
Mark: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones/Telstra-Exicom-wall-plate-connector-corrosion/td-...
Mark: That's my story
Ronnalyn: Just erading it now
Ronnalyn: reading*
Mark: Okay
Ronnalyn: Upon checking, we can send a technician to have it fixed which will cost $120
Mark: No, it's free if main socket
Ronnalyn: Who provided that information, if I may ask?
Mark: Jessy from your technical support. Also seems to be common knowledge at Crowdsupport
Mark: Quote from chat transcript follows ...
Mark: Jessy: Our Telstra technician can only fix the first socket for free. For the 2nd socket, charges of $135 may occur.
Mark: You disagree?
Ronnalyn: That's if we were to send out a Faults tech who will be assessing if it can still be fixed or whether it will be a new connection point.
Ronnalyn: If you want, we can get someone from Faults to check on it.
Mark: How will they check?
Mark: By coming here? Is there a charge for that?
Ronnalyn: They will be visiting your place, free of charge.
Mark: Yes, that will be fine thanks. I'm sure it can be fixed, just a few wires in the wall plate itself are corroded
Ronnalyn: No worries. Kindly wait on the other end
Mark: Actual phone line is fine, blue and white wires are good
Ronnalyn: Great. Kindly wiat
Info: Please wait while your chat is transferred to the appropriate group.
Info: You are now chatting with Satish.
Satish: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Satish: Hi, you are chatting with Satish. Please allow me 2 minutes while I go through the previous chat conversation and assist you further.
Satish: I'll be right with you.
Satish: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Mark: OK
Satish: I'll be right with you.
Satish: Mark, you want to repair the main socket to get repaired?
Satish: Okay. As you say that you have a fault with the socket let me check what best I can do for you.
Mark: Just set up an appointment please
Satish: Could you help me with your home phone number?
Mark: *****
Satish: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Mark: wow okay
Satish: Please give me 2 minutes so that I'll pull up your account details Mark.
Mark: ok
Mark: 25 minutes online with you to get a tech visit arranged? What's happening?
Mark: This is ridiculous
Mark: I'm going to sign off now
Satish: Mark, as we need to follow the procedure I am following the same
Satish: This will take few minutes to complete.
Mark: If I had called, this would have been over in 3 minutes
End (I sign off, 1 hour 9 minutes later)

DISGUSTING
MarkMaleny

I'll probably be kept waiting for hours on their 132203 line as well. Is that a free call if you are on the Telstra network?
Accepted Solution

Yes, it's a free call.
MarkMaleny

I was able to arrange a tech visit by phone. Took 20 minutes, mostly waiting. Eventually the CSR called me back with a time. Will get the tech visit in 3 days, so not too long to wait for that.

Overall experience with Telstra is, as it has always been, poor.

I contrast this to the excellent service I got from telcos in the US. Australians simply do not know what true customer service feels like.

That's why I told you to call 132203, rather than giving you the Livechat details.

For that type of problem, the calling on the phone is quickest 99% of the time.

You would have saved an hour and a half of your life.

Highlighted
MarkMaleny

Technician came today, took one look at the socket components and confirmed that they were "buggered", replaced the socket, all done in 15 minutes. So good service from the tech, 10/10. Phone support at Telstra 7/10, chat support 2/10.

nox33
Level 1: Cadet

Is is on a wall that backs onto the outside? The moisture is probably coming from the wall cavity. If it is the first socket and you are a Telstra customer then they should replace it free of charge. Best to get them to fit a stand-off mounting block first to try to stop the moisture from coming through.

nox33
Level 1: Cadet

Also if it is the first socket it actually belongs to Telstra and you're not allowed to touch it. You need to have a cabling license to touch any communication wiring.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now