CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
samuels
Level 4: Private Eye

Telstra SIP Connect

Answered

So many questions, and no answers!

Is there any info on setting this up with freepbx? I'm mediocre with freepbx (have set up normal trunks in the past, etc) but from what i understand, this Telstra SIP Connect residential approach is nonstandard?!

I seen a few posts where people state they have done it, but no howto or proof to justify that claim? Is it really possible?!

What is the significance of the 'connect.telstra.com' in the username, is that a local resolve to the CPE IP? Or am i reading too much into it?

Also, how to i get hosts like 'nsw.ngc.connect.telstra.com' to resolve?! All this hoo-ha just to make use of our own unsupported devices.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
samuels
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra SIP Connect

Here we go, it has started with the new number (did not have a number to port over when i signed up with Telstra in Feb this year), and i am starting to get harassment from these tele/scammers.

For **bleep**s and giggles the bottom one was trying to tell me he works for 'Telstra' and there was suspicious yadda yadda stuff happeneing with my Telstra Internet, now if i could have said please let me transfer you to the boss aka 'It's Lenny' (telemarketers; google it) which is a virtual number on my pbx that records these types of encounters and strings them along with a voice activated random response from Lenny, and via short verses it could go on for quite a while.. there is a reddit page dedicated to Its Lenny dealing with these telescammers.

Now to call Telstra and get incoming calls blocked.

BTW look both those numbers up on google if you think i am BS'ing, All it would take me is 30 seconds to load the blacklist and add them but noooooo 'Telstra knows best' and i cannot have my voip sip details to make use of with my knowledge and foresight in this regard, for my own management; thus, **bleep**-on-a-bull fiasco for all.scum.png

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 21: Augmented

You won't get SIP details from Telstra... Full stop...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
samuels

What gave you the impression i wanted the deets from Telstra themselves when they are the ones that are obfuscating something pretty standard/ simple?!
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@samuels - You haven't provided much in the way of specifics, such as the model of your modem and the type of internet service that you have or exactly what you are trying to achieve, so this means that anyone trying to assist will have to make assumptions based on the information that you have provided.  Which unsupported devices are you trying to use? How do you have them currently connected? 

Assumption 1. You have a modem provided by Telstra for an NBN service

We do not provide SIP details to customers. These are automatically retrieved by the Telstra provided modems when they connect to the internet and do not need to be manually configured.

Assumption 2. You are trying to reconfigure the SIP details within a Telstra supplied modem to use freepbx. 

As we do not provide SIP details to be manually configured, these settings are locked and not able to be configured within Telstra provided modem. 

If you do not need the phone service that comes as part of the NBN service provided by Telstra, you can use a BYO modem/router of your choice that supports the configuration that you require to use freepbx.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

samuels

We do not provide SIP details to customers.

Wheres the fun in that? So much for being transparent in terms of consumer options -- i would like to use telstra on pbx so that i can:

• use my existing telemarketer blacklist, and block at the server level
  • time conditions of incoming calls to screen / send to my voicemail when people call outside hours.. ya know, when we're sleeping (we have young kids)..not just family or friends, but more importantly the teles that do this from overseas in the wee hours; as family have our mobs regardless, if its important they can get to us.
  • choose who i want to use for international calls based on price, without changing handset to do it
  • use one sip phone not a combo

If you do not need the phone service that comes as part of the NBN service provided by Telstra, you can use a BYO modem/router of your choice that supports the configuration that you require to use freepbx.

I dunno, sounds like a 'fit in or...' mentality?

samuels

Oh and i use the term 'telemarketer' loosely to include scammers too, as they are of the same ilk as far as i am concerned.
samuels
Accepted Solution

Here we go, it has started with the new number (did not have a number to port over when i signed up with Telstra in Feb this year), and i am starting to get harassment from these tele/scammers.

For **bleep**s and giggles the bottom one was trying to tell me he works for 'Telstra' and there was suspicious yadda yadda stuff happeneing with my Telstra Internet, now if i could have said please let me transfer you to the boss aka 'It's Lenny' (telemarketers; google it) which is a virtual number on my pbx that records these types of encounters and strings them along with a voice activated random response from Lenny, and via short verses it could go on for quite a while.. there is a reddit page dedicated to Its Lenny dealing with these telescammers.

Now to call Telstra and get incoming calls blocked.

BTW look both those numbers up on google if you think i am BS'ing, All it would take me is 30 seconds to load the blacklist and add them but noooooo 'Telstra knows best' and i cannot have my voip sip details to make use of with my knowledge and foresight in this regard, for my own management; thus, **bleep**-on-a-bull fiasco for all.scum.png

samuels

Unbelievable - my request was swift in action; slight issue though, cannot make outgoing calls, but telescammers can still call me!

Yep, on the phone with support again to fix the english and comprehension issue.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Samuels,

Sorry to hear of your frustration.

Were you able to get assistance with this over the phone on the call mentioed?

- Stef

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

samuels

Yes, i was told the second time that incoming calls cannot be barred, only outgoing calls. So i had to lift the barr that was put in place and am going to settle with pulling the cord after 10pm due to telescammers. XD

If it gets consistently bad i will stop using the telstra NGC service -- i am done with any form of reasoning/ pleading with the entity.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now