Mischa68
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and Vtech home phone

Since switching back to Telstra I am getting missed phone messages on my VTech home phone screen. Telstra technical keep contacting me saying they are looking into the problem. The latest call has asked me to try another home phone, if I have one, to see what happens with it. I am waiting to do this BUT in the meantime:-

Q. Is there anybody out there that may have a home phone that is NOT a VTECH brand but is also getting about 30m interval constant missed call notifications on their phone screens? These calls have no caller ID recorded, just blank screen but constant approx. 30-40 min missed calls recorded. A real nuisance!!!!! 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and Vtech home phone

I have a Vtech phone and another phone connected to my Smart modem but neither of these devices get missed calls but there are plenty of reports of other people with vtech phones getting these missed calls.

It is also happening with Call guardian 301 phone. See this post

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones/VM-Waiting-amp-VM-Cleared-Calls/td-p/828929

Grpol
Level 1: Cadet

I have the same problem. Missed calls every 36 minutes exactly. Lots of long useless calls to tech support. Finally they agree is there modem and Vtech phones. "They are working on the problem." That was 3 to 4 weeks ago. Do telstra ever monitor this forum. They make out as if they kmow nothing about it until you demand a supervisor, who will finally admit the problem. NBN recommendations getting a new modem but Telstra won't replace. Options are to buy their phones (but someone reported problems with some of  these too). Or buy a modem from elsewhere. What to do???

Level 22: Superhuman

Panasonic have a cordless phone with battery back up and answering machine with 4 handsets for $129.00.  Harvy Norman presently have them on sale for $99.00. It works fine with Gen 2 Smart modem.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
alittlewino

we have a Gigaset phone settup with answering machine on a Technicolor DJA0230TLS on FTTN, apparently 800m from the node (not ideal) for about a year now

last few months getting ghost missed calls (phone doesn't ring, just gives 3 quick bump, bump, bump sounds in succession) and the message/missed calls light lights up
on checking the number reports as 'Unavailable'

once cleared it's fine for a while – and then rinse and repeat – time gap is anything from 15mins to a few weeks, but typically within the hour

we have ageing parents and phone messages are important to us – having to clear ghost missed calls every hour now is a ruddy pain

had some months of clear air, but now this....needs fixing or I'll change ISP

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @alittlewino,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out in regard to your home phone service and welcome to CrowdSupport. I apologise your reason for reaching out is fur to the frustration of the ghost calls you're experiencing. Can I ask, have you contacted our NBN Assurance Team via 1800834273 to report? If so, what has been advised?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

alittlewino

Hi Renee, apparently a Telstra problem - see link and post below.

My question is if I get rid of Telstra's Message Bank, will my home phone answering machine work as intended picking up messages etc.? I contacted Telstra support via on-line chat and was told to call 125101 from the home phone and follow the prompts.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones/VM-Waiting-amp-VM-Cleared-Calls/td-p/828929

"

This is a known fault and the only cure is to contact support and have message bank removed. See 4th to last popst in this thread. Ingnore the replies that have been marked as the answere)"

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones/False-missed-calls-every-36-minutes/td-p/824387

"

Really shouldn't have to do this - what's wrong with simply providing a phone line that actually works properly?

Highlighted

This problem is being investigated by Telstra and once a solution is found a firmware or other solution will be implemented. In the mean time the only solution is to disable remove bank. Your phones answering machine will still work as intended with message bank removed.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now