CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
bpkm
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra charges for 1300 numbers

Answered

Why is it that 1300 numbers are supposed to be cheaper, and yet you can be on the maximum telstra fixed line plan,and whilst all other calls are included, 1300 numbers are charged, surely these should be included??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra charges for 1300 numbers

Hi bpkm,

Can you clarify what you mean by supposed to be cheaper? These calls are 35 cents per call

Calls to 13 Numbers includes calls to Priority One3, Priority1300, and SecuriDial services.

Telstra's Priority One3
Is an easy to remember six digit number (commencing with 13) which costs the same to call from anywhere in Australia from most fixed phones.

Priority1300
Is a ten digit number (commencing with 1300) which costs the same to call from anywhere in Australia from most fixed phones.

Note: Some companies use these numbers to provide monitoring services such as medical pendants for the elderly. 

SecuriDial / Monitored Alarm Systems
SecuriDial is a back-to-base security monitoring service. It sends alarm data from monitored premises (like your home) to a monitoring control room, using the Telstra phone network. Your alarm monitoring company maintains this service – including the panel making the calls.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
28 REPLIES 28
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi bpkm,

Can you clarify what you mean by supposed to be cheaper? These calls are 35 cents per call

Calls to 13 Numbers includes calls to Priority One3, Priority1300, and SecuriDial services.

Telstra's Priority One3
Is an easy to remember six digit number (commencing with 13) which costs the same to call from anywhere in Australia from most fixed phones.

Priority1300
Is a ten digit number (commencing with 1300) which costs the same to call from anywhere in Australia from most fixed phones.

Note: Some companies use these numbers to provide monitoring services such as medical pendants for the elderly. 

SecuriDial / Monitored Alarm Systems
SecuriDial is a back-to-base security monitoring service. It sends alarm data from monitored premises (like your home) to a monitoring control room, using the Telstra phone network. Your alarm monitoring company maintains this service – including the panel making the calls.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

bpkm

Hi Shannon ,When I say cheaper, I suppose I'm talking about myself, living in a country area where most calls are STD, thus the implication of 1300 numbers being cheaper. Notwithstanding, why are these 1300 not included in the 'ultimate' fixed line package. I refuse to pay for 1300 by not using them, as most times I can get a standard number, which the companies offer for over seas callers. Although it is getting harder and harder to avoid 1300 numbers. Its not so much the actual cost, but more so the priciple, when you pay the maximum package, i would expect these to be included.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi bpkm, 

Decisions on which call types are included in each plan are pricing decisions that aren't made publicly available, or available to any Telstra staff outside the Pricing division, as they are commercial secrets. 

So we can't answer that question sorry. 

However we can and will pass along feedback for you, advising that you'd like these calls to be included on the maximum package.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

bpkm

Thanks Steph,

That does not really explain the logic behind it, but it seems that I'm the only customer somewhat obsessed/concerned

by the practice, so why should/would Telstra need to consider changing it?? To me it seems they do it because it must be lucrative, and loyal customers for over 50 years such as myself have to cop it 'sweet' because we won't change from telstra,

particularly in the country areas.

DragonJewel
Level 8: Inspector

bpkm, You are not the only one to feel this way. Neither use of standard numbers in preference to 1300 options. I have heard that Telstra gets paid by both parties for some 1300 numbers so it is definitely just a financial decision by them. I think most who are not happy with the practice just realize we cannot change it so do what you can to avoid it.
teenap
Level 2: Rookie

I too find it very frustrating that calls to 1300 numbers are not included in my Telstra Bundle. Why can't Telstra include the flat rate fee to their 1300 customer the same way that 1800 numbers are free to call. 

Browser
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

I also have queried this with Telstra and also received the same nonsense replies. It annoys me also to have a Bundle package that includes all local calls, of which 13 & 1300 numbers are considered by Telstra to be, but you get charged more than the average local call charge for using these numbers, very frustrating Telstra! Every other service provider includes these numbers in their package deals, there is no loyalty for long time Telstra customers, they are only interested in giving better deals to New Customers, also very frustrating Telstra! Hopefully all their loyal customers will start drifting to other service providers and then maybeTelstra will lift their game..bla bla bla, not likely!
teenap

It appears that no one from Telstra can answer my question.  Why am I not surprised.

Browser

No, you are not the only one concerned/obsessed with this issue, loads and loads of customers comment on this issue in the negative but it falls on Telstra's deaf ears, very, very, bad customer service from Telstra!
Level 23: Superhero

Hey Browser, have you complained to Optus, I mean they charge for 1300 calls to, so lets be a bit fair and acknowledge it's not just Telstra and Optus that charge for these calls.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Browser

No, you are wrong, comparing similar packages with Telstra/Optus, Optus charge $90 p/m for cable bundle with 200GB Internet per month with unlimited local, national & 13/1300 calls included, Telstra charge $105 p/m for 100GB Internet with local & national calls included, NOT 13/1300 numbers. Check the Optus website!
Level 23: Superhero

I stand to creect you Browser.

This thread is about Home Phone services and 1300 charges!

This from the other companies home phone plans;

thirteen.png

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Browser

Bundles include Home phone charges & 13/1300 numbers, same thing.
teenap

I personally don't think it matters which service provider charges for 1300 calls - It's called double dipping and it should be stopped.  If an 1800 is free for me to call why am I charged for a 1300 call at a flat rate. So I guess my question to Telstra is "If the 1800 is free for me why isn't the 1300".  Also if the call is only charged at a flat rate why can't that be included in  Bundles as the calls that we personally make to 1300 numbers are for services and not private numbers.  So I guess the consumer always pays.  Have you ever tried to find a standard phone number for either a Government Department or provider instead of their 1300?   Either it's not listed in the directory or when you check online and contact the number they advise you HAVE to use their 1300 number.  I guess as the consumer we do not have freedom of choice but are dictacted to by government, business and our service provider.

Browser

Yes, I totally agree! Should be stopped, the only way is to walk away, but that creates so many other problems, ho hum, we keep on paying more, and more, and more.
Browser

You will never get a straight answer from them, I have been down this road before, when you don't agree with their logic behind the charges they ignore the query, good luck'
Ainsydney
Level 1: Cadet

I can hlep in the issue with 13 numbers not being included in cheaper calls.  Use ur mobile plans.

Most mobile  plans incude 13 numbers in their  Plans, just like local calls.

But not in Telstra Home lines.  This is ridiculous. Why can Telstra include 13 numbers free in their own mobile Plans but not in any of their Telstra Home Line Plans?? Very unfair.  We should all close our Home phone Plans with Telstra.

teenap

That's OK if there is another service provider but in some regional areas you have NO choice as Telstra is the only provider available.
Browser

Bla bla bla Telstra, still no action to compete with the other providers who include13/1300 numbers in their package deals! Again, shame on Telstra, the largest and most lucrative provider who don't and won't lift their game until they start losing all their customers. Let's hope that happens soon and forces them to be competitive and more reasonable and not so greedy!
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey all,

Just to set the record straight, the companies or businesses who utilise the 13/1300 service are  in a way passing on the flat rate charge to call their business number. Thank you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

teenap

I don't think you have set the record straight.   What you are saying is DON'T deal with suppliers who have 1300 numbers as they really aren't after my business but deal with suppliers who have either an 1800, mobile, local or interstate number as they are included in my Telstra package. Telstra Business Services contact number for information on setting up a 1300 number service is 1800 334 884 and not a 1300 number. I can only guess it's because their potential customer would have to pay the flat rate.   If service providers changed their charges to their customers to the same as 1800 numbers then it would be business and government departments who paid for gaining my custom.

Browser

Then why is there never an option to use a direct number, nearly all Govt Depts only have 13/1300 numbers and most large companies, very frustrating. Somehow Telstra will be getting the better deal with these 13/1300 numbers. If other providers who charge less for there bundles include 13/1300 numbers in their package, then why not Telstra!
yarpos

You misunderstand the game Browser. Telstra is basically still a monopoly, they have to keep giving away a certain percentage of customers to keep the competition alive so they dont attract monopoly scrutiny. They dont really care if you are happy or not , they just need to manage the balance.
county

I wish these charges to be included in bundles.

It costs me around $30 a month to do telephone banking. Chiz.

Chapey

I have a Telstra landline account that includes all local and national calls. It peaves me that the 1300 numbers are always added to my account. My latest account had 14 of these calls on it that took my total over my limit. This really annoys me. From now on I will look up that company's normal number on white pages and call that instead.

teenap

Couldn't agree more. It is extremely difficult to get normal numbers when you live in rural qld.
ridgididge

It's not that 1800 calls are included in your package. It's that 1800 calls are paid for by the receiver. They're choice to encourage you to call them.
teenap

You have missed the point.  As a Telstra customer on a large bundle I fail to see why Telstra can't include this service in any of their bundles.  I live in rural Queensland and  95% of our calls are either std or mobile which cost a lot more than .40cents per call and are included in our bundle.  With Telstra showing profit of approx. $2,093 million for the 6 months to December 2015 I hardly think offering 1300 calls as an inclusion on bundles would be detrimental to Telstra's profit but would improve the impression of Telstra by their customers. 

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now