cognitiveant
Level 4: Private Eye

VoIP SIP Registered - LOG

Answered

Noticed in the log, constant VoIP SIP Registering. Is this considered normal log activity?

Screenshot 2019-08-05 at 8.27.49 pm.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Epsom
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: VoIP SIP Registered - LOG

Without nat keep-alives your sip client needs to send frequent Registers to keep the UDP connection to the sip server refreshed to provide an open path for any incoming Invite the server may send.

Telstra sip server wont accept register expires > 600 ms no matter what your sip client may suggest .The Arcadyan tries for 3600 ms but this is not accepted hence the 9-10 min frequency shown in your log.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Yes it is normal for the SIP to register wit server on a regular basis. It is occurs when the SIP sends a signal to the server server to let server know were the modem is located in the network.

cognitiveant
Level 4: Private Eye

Thanks,

I have phone issue, possibly. People say that my line is crackling on their end all the time, but I can't hear the crackling sound they mention, so I am just isolating the issue.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It could be a fault on the microphone, or the transmit wires of your phone.

If the problem was on the modem/internet side, then with a VOIP service I would expect the problem to manifest as a quieting rather than a crackle. A crackle propagating through a VOIP service would indicate a problem with the equipment before the signal is encoded.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Epsom
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Without nat keep-alives your sip client needs to send frequent Registers to keep the UDP connection to the sip server refreshed to provide an open path for any incoming Invite the server may send.

Telstra sip server wont accept register expires > 600 ms no matter what your sip client may suggest .The Arcadyan tries for 3600 ms but this is not accepted hence the 9-10 min frequency shown in your log.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now