CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
jgoodall
Level 1: Cadet

Why do we have to do our own trouble shooting when Telstra's equipment/service does not work!

I'm having problems with our landline on the NBN. I have made dozen of calls. Each time I have to go through and trouble shoot again the issues only to prove that IT'S NOT WORKING. What ever happened to customer service. I understand that the first phone call they can ask you to do the normal, restart, reboot, reset etc. But after that proves it doesn't work, then it should be an automatic service that someone is sent out to fix the service that Telstra is very happy to take money from me for. It's like pulling teeth to get anyone out to have a look. Instead I have to spend hours of my time (time that I would normally be earning money) trying to work out why their service does not work. When my customer has a problem with a product I produce I fix it. I don't talk them through how to fix it themselves. Should I be sending Telstra an invoice for my time? What ever happened to customer service?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Why do we have to do our own trouble shooting when Telstra's equipment/service does not work!

Hello, I'm not an apologist for Telstra, but my Laptop manufacturer, desktop manufacturer and alarm system provider also expect me to see if it can be fixed by phone.
When I worked at head office support for a major, major mobile phone manufacturer 25 years ago, their policy was also the same, as most "problems" were "finger" problems, that is, the customer's issue was not always the actual handset.
I do see the philosophy of your argument, and it's thought provoking, though impractical, and would increase the actual sale cost of the original item or service.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Re: Why do we have to do our own trouble shooting when Telstra's equipment/service does not work!

In regards to voice services on the NBN if the voice service isnt working, sending a tech out wouldn't do anything as if the phone is plugged in properly, its either the modem thats faulty and a warranty replacement would be sent out or something is wrong on the back end which result in an escalation to level 2.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

jgoodall

We think it may of been fixed because we have another modem connected to the network to get the internet to the back of our property. If a tech had come out they would of notice this and it could of been solved within an hour. Nothing beats old fashion service. Instead I've had to spend 8 hours of my life trying to get this fixed. Before you say it was our fault, it worked fine before the NBN so we had no reason to believe it wouldn't. And we are paying for a service that we are not experts at and not expect to be. Companies are happy to take our money but when we need actual real help not a person the other side of the world working off of a screen we don't get it. Just because it works in cyber space doesn't mean they still can't use their legs. Shame
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you had another telstra modem that has the VOIP feature (TG797. TG799, TG800. DJN2130 or DJN0230) that had its WAN port connected to a LAN port of main modem then this would stop the VOIP phone working on both modems.

If you want to use the second modem to extend your WiFi range there are two ways of doing this without effecting VOIP service.

1. Turn on Bridge mode in second modem and connect WAN port to LAN port of main modem.
  2. Turn of DHCP in second modem, change its IP address so it is in same subset as main modem but is different to main modem and connect LAN port of main modem to LAN port of second modem.

Best also to change WiFi channels so there is at least four channels separation between modems and both have same SSID and password.

jgoodall

Thanks that is very helpful, I'll give that a go once I'm completely happy that taking the modem off has fixed the problem.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now