CrowdSupport®
johnnoc
Level 1: Cadet

cordless phone and NBN

Just got my NBN kit. Telstra shop tells me that cordless provided with kit does not support multiple handsets (I need 3) and that I will have to replace my existing cordless. Any recommendations

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: cordless phone and NBN

Hey @johnnoc,

You shouldn't need to replace your existing cordless phones, though the Base station will need to connect directly to the new modem using the first green socket.

This can be an issue for some customers if the modem was installed in an awkward location.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Cripps
Level 4: Private Eye

What Happens if it's an HFC service using the ( cable ) Gateway Max as the router?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Cripps,

The HFC network being used for NBN will require a modem change. You can no longer use the Cable version of the Gateway to connect.

You'll be provided with the current Gateway that we supply to all other NBN Connection types.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

johnnoc

Thanks for info. Its all a mystery to this old dinosaur

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@johnnoc,

Let us know how you go, We're happy to assist where we can.

For immediate assistance, we recommend that you contact our Tech Team on 1800 834 273

- Matt

Miscemw

I've done a lot of research about which cordless phone to use with my new NBN service. It's been really confusing, I've read a lot, seen a lot of technical jargon, and I'm still not exactly precisely clear on what to do. Can anyone please clarify for me, when I get the NBN connected on Monday through Telstra, with a VoIP service, will any DECT cordless phone work with that system? My research has shown me people saying that yes it will, and others saying that no it won't – is it any wonder I'm confused?

Currently I'm looking at a Panasonic DECT  triple handset cordless phone set, but I don't want to waste my money if it's not going to work.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Miscenmw,

There are 2 ways to connect a phone.

- If that phone set has a base unit it would just connect to the phone port on the modem. This would be the most likely option.

- If there is no base unit then you would hold the DECT button on the modem and then register via the phone interface.

- AlistairQWA

Rodkathy

Can you have both. A phone directly connected and a deck phone connected wirelessly

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Yes you can have a phone connected to the green RJ11 phone port and also up to 5 DECT 2.0 handset connected to the gateways DECT base. The phone connected to the green RJ11 phone port could also be a cordless phone base with several cordless handsets. Can also connect smart phones with T-Voice app to the gateway via Wi-Fi,

MartinM
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra does have a cordless phone which does not have to be plugged into the wall.

However, if you look at the on line shop, you will see a number of cordless phones. If you scroll down to the information areas and scroll to the package contents pages, you will see that they have phone connect cables, which will not work if you have NBN installed. Only with the socket in the modem. You can also use your standard telephone in that same Modem socket.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now