Highlighted
JohnTD
Level 2: Rookie

nbn handset dropouts

Hi, I have a NBN Smart Modem and Telstra T-Voice 503 Handset. The handset has been working fine for 2 years but now using the phone it ends the call after a few minutes. I tried re-registering again and it still happens... Is it a faulty handset? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: nbn handset dropouts

When the call drops are you getting any error messages on the handset such as lose of data? Is there any indication on the modem when this happens.

If you have had the same modem for 2 years it is probably the Gateway Frontier instead of the Telstra Smart Modem. The Gateway Frontier has just had a firmware update to 17.2.0261-820-RA. If this has just happened within past week then it could be this update causing the problem as it does change some VOIP settings. The firmware version can be checked by log into gateway http://192.168.0.1 and going to Advanced > Gateway.

JohnTD

Hi, thanks for your response. I replaced an old modem with this one about a year ago. The modem box says it's a Gateway 2... I checked the firmware and it's the version you wrote. I haven't noticed any of the lights on the modem switch off when it happens, but I do notice the handset does show Data Sync once in a while... perhaps it drops out when this happens? Are there some settings I should change to?Thanks so much for your help to date.

There are no settings you can change.

You are the second person in a week to post a problem T-Voice 503 losing data sync and dropping out during a call. I have noticed that my DECT handset not T-Voice is losing its connection (It gives a short ring every few minutes). I don't know if calls are dropping out as I hardly ever use the Landline.
Has the problem with your phone just started. The new firmware was released in the past two weeks.

JohnTD

Yeah it's been the last 2 weeks...

It is looking like it could be a problem with the latest firmware. @Yastiandrie do you know if the latest firmware for Telstra Gateway Frontier could be causing DECT calls to drop out?

There was a fix implemented for incoming calls using a specific codec that were dropping out but nothing that affected DECT directly

I don't have any visibility on updates to the phone itself or if ones been recently implemented.

Does the log file show anything in particular at the time the call drops? Post that section in here

Advanced > Diagnostics in the modems GUI
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
JohnTD

I found the area where I made a connection then lost it.... I x'd the phone numbers.

Sun Sep 9 17:20:28 2018 user.info mmpbxd[9626]: [+613xxxxxxxxxx] [Handset 1] Outgoing Call Established [08xxxxxxxxxx]
Sun Sep 9 17:20:35 2018 daemon.notice [4284]: [mobiled] (WaitingForDevice) runs WaitingForDevice-Main.check(timeout, 1)
Sun Sep 9 17:21:32 2018 kern.warn kernel: [ 398.716000] CONSOLE: 027126.491 wl1: dfs : state to In-Service Monitoring(ISM) chanspec 60/80 at 60000ms
Sun Sep 9 17:21:35 2018 daemon.notice [4284]: [mobiled] (WaitingForDevice) runs WaitingForDevice-Main.check(timeout, 1)
Sun Sep 9 17:22:00 2018 cron.info crond[3243]: USER root pid 11456 cmd /sbin/trafficmon.lua
Sun Sep 9 17:22:26 2018 daemon.notice wansensing: (L3DHCP) runs L3DHCPMain.check(ETH,timeout)
Sun Sep 9 17:22:26 2018 daemon.notice wansensing: The L3DHCP main script is checking link connectivity on l2type interface ETH
Sun Sep 9 17:22:26 2018 daemon.notice wansensing: Launching DNS Request
Sun Sep 9 17:22:26 2018 daemon.notice wansensing: Launching DNS Request with DNS server 61.9.134.49
Sun Sep 9 17:22:26 2018 daemon.notice wansensing: run_dnsget::trigger dns query by dnsget -n 61.9.134.49 -t A -o timeout:5 -o attempts:1 fbbwan.telstra.net 2>/dev/null
Sun Sep 9 17:22:35 2018 daemon.notice [4284]: [mobiled] (WaitingForDevice) runs WaitingForDevice-Main.check(timeout, 1)
Sun Sep 9 17:23:35 2018 daemon.notice [4284]: [mobiled] (WaitingForDevice) runs WaitingForDevice-Main.check(timeout, 1)
Sun Sep 9 17:24:00 2018 cron.info crond[3243]: USER root pid 11534 cmd /sbin/trafficmon.lua
Sun Sep 9 17:24:28 2018 user.info mmpbxd[9626]: [Handset 1] ONHOOK
Sun Sep 9 17:24:28 2018 user.info mmpbxd[9626]: [Handset 1] IDLE
Sun Sep 9 17:24:28 2018 user.info mmpbxd[9626]: [+61396907617] SIP Call Signaling: BYE sip:sgc_c@58.162.37.245;transport=udp SIP/2.0
- SIP Message Sent
Sun Sep 9 17:24:29 2018 user.info mmpbxd[9626]: Outgoing: +61xxxxxxxxx: Handset 1: RTP rx dur 268354, rx pkts 13416, rx bytes 2306848, lost pkts 0, avg jitter 1, tx dur 268354, tx pkts 13419, tx bytes 2308068
Sun Sep 9 17:24:29 2018 user.info mmpbxd[9626]: [+61xxxxxxxxx] SIP Call Signaling: SIP/2.0 200 OK
- SIP Message Received
Sun Sep 9 17:24:29 2018 daemon.err rmmod: module is not loaded
Sun Sep 9 17:24:29 2018 user.debug mmpbxd[9626]: [MMDEVKP] :E: mmDevKeyPadOnHook:4562 - MMPBX_ERROR_INVALIDSTATE
Sun Sep 9 17:24:29 2018 user.info mmpbxd[9626]: [+61xxxxxxxxxx] [Handset 1] Outgoing Call End [08xxxxxxxx], Duration: 241 Seconds

Hmm not a definitive indication of the cause.

Can you factory reset the modem? That should force it to re-download and re-register the voice service. You'll have to pair the phone again afterwards
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

JohnTD

Hi Yastiandrie, I've reset the modem and re-registered the handset... I'll make a few phone calls tonight and see how it goes... Cheers.

no worries..keep me posted

JohnTD

Hi Yastiandrie, no luck, same thing happened after about 3mins. I'll go and buy a new handset and see if that works... current one may still be with warranty.
Support Team
Support Team

Appreciate your perseverance in this, JohnTD. Please let us know how that goes; as I'd like to see this resolved. - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

JohnTD

Hi Matthew, just a quick update... I replaced the handset with a new one from the Telstra store. I made a 15min call without a dropout. Seems that was the culprit...
Cheers
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update JohnTD, great to read the matter has now been resolved.

Please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now