Highlighted
k-ly
Level 2: Rookie

nbn phone connection

Answered

Can anyone tell me how to connect my downstairs phone to my new (upstairs) Telstra Gateway?

I'm getting NBN FTTN in 3 days so I'm researching the set up of my second phone. It's the same land line / phone number but I can't work out how to connect it.

The upstairs phone will use the green and grey ports so, even if I put in a cable to the downstairs phone, where would I plug it in on the Gateway - there's only the 2 phone ports.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: nbn phone connection

K-ly

You could either use a phone double adapter to provide a extra socket or buy a handset which is DECT 2 compatible this can be paired to the gateway. Up to 5 hadsets can be paired to gateway.

If using a double adapter would still need to install extra phone socket upstairsand connect it to phone socket downstairs.

Depending on wether downstairs socket is the main socket might also need to recable existing upstairs socket so that it connects directly to incoming line. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 21: Augmented

@k-ly

it would be like

top floor 

NBN box ===> modem ====> central port ====> phone port

bottom floor

phone port ====> central port

central phone port.png

if your not using wif through the house then you will need to put data cabling in as well

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
k-ly

Thanks for the information, Cretsiah.

It's Fibre to the node so I don't have an NBN box - just a modem with two phone ports on the back - a grey one for the grey cable from the wall socket and a green one for the lead from the phone .

When you mention a Central port, what is that and where can I buy it? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Accepted Solution

K-ly

You could either use a phone double adapter to provide a extra socket or buy a handset which is DECT 2 compatible this can be paired to the gateway. Up to 5 hadsets can be paired to gateway.

If using a double adapter would still need to install extra phone socket upstairsand connect it to phone socket downstairs.

Depending on wether downstairs socket is the main socket might also need to recable existing upstairs socket so that it connects directly to incoming line. 

@k-ly

It's Fibre to the node so I don't have an NBN box

1) in that case just from the modem

grey cable       blue cable (data)/green cable (phone)==>phone cable

so would be wall socket 1 (where NBN comes in)=========>modem<====>central port/wall socket<==========>wall socket

best to get to get a licensed electrician or data/phone cabler in (otherwise it wont be covered under insurance)

2) central port:

all wires from all ports/sockets (bottom floor and top floor) connected to a singular port/point. (can be done a couple of ways)

or you could do as @cf4 says and get a wireless/cordless phone system

k-ly

Thanks cf4. I like that this is a cheap way of testing in advance. I'll buy the double adaptor and bring up the downstairs phone and plug both phones in to the modem using the double adaptor. If that works, then I can think about  paying a cabler to run a cable between the upstairs modem and the downstairs phone.

k-ly

Thanks for the reply, cretsiah. I'm going to try the double adaptor first becuse it seems the cheapest option. Plus I also want internet downstairs so it would be good to run an ethernet cable at the same time and then both cables could go to a telephone/data wall plate and I can then plug in a wifi extender.

If it doesn't work, I'll look at buying new DECT 2 phones.

@k-ly

not knowing the wiring setup of your original phone sockets...but

if you had say 3 sockets upstairs and 2-4 downstairs then maybe just maybe you will be lucky that they are all still connected, and the only 1 removed from connection is the 1 that the NBN line comes in on.

if this is the case..

then 

NBN===>modem====>double adapter====>phone

=====>second upstairs wall socket

then it might just be a case of seeing if the current wifi router reaches throughout the house and if not invest in a better wifi router.

k-ly

Hi cretsiah

I have one phone port upstairs and one downstairs (for when I'm gardening).

It would be great if the other port kept working but apparently all phones have to connect through the Telstra Gateway modem once the NBN is connected and the other ports become defunct. The Gateway modem only has one port to plug a phone line into and another port to receive NBN from the wall socket.

After some re-thinking, I just found a cheap Uniden phone online and it comes with an extra handset so I've ordered it and will see if that works. So I've put off getting a double adaptor because, if it does work, then I won't need one.

Thanks for all your advice.

Cheers

k-ly

Thanks to cretsiah and cf4 for all the advice.

We have a television downstairs and sometimes there's a lag when video streaming so I was hesitant to get a new phone with an additional handset for downstairs in case the coverage wasn't great . I wasn't sure the second handset would work (through Colorbond metal walls) but I've bought and tried the new DECT 2 phones and the downstairs one works like a dream. It was by far the easiest option - no cabling and no huge outlay.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now