CrowdSupport®
beebeejaybee
Level 2: Rookie

new Smart moden gen 2 installed now landline phone doesn't ring

Answered

I received and installed a new Smart modem a couple of weeks ago,

this week my landline which I keep in order to call my child on my way home or for her to call friends or just in case there's a nearby bush fire (last time the landline got the automated watch and act alert but only 1/2 of the mobiles did) or those times when the power goes out for days which kills the mobile towers but the landline phone still works .......

anyway, this week when I ring, the phone rings out, got home go mad at kid for not answering she informs me that the phone didn't ring .... is this a known issue? or something I need to call about?

I'm looking at reinstalling my old not so smart modem at least then everything works the way it should

B
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: new Smart moden gen 2 installed now landline phone doesn't ring

Is the phone plugged into green phone port on the modem or into a phone socket?

If plugged into modem try ringing with phone plugged into phone socket.

If still not ringing try ringing with modem PSTN port disconnected and phone plugged into wall phone socket.

If still not ringing try ringing with modem completely disconnected from phone wall socket and phone plugged into wall phone socket.

If phone rings with either phone plugged into wall socket or PSTN port on modem disconnected or PSTN port and DSL Port disconnected then it could be a faulty modem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7

Are you able to make calls? If fault is only the phone not ringing then it could be a faulty modem. Make sure the phone is the only device plugged into the phone port on the modem.

Did you also transition into the NBN? What type of service do you have?
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
beebeejaybee

yes I can make calls and if I call the phone from my mobile it doesn’t ring but when I pick it up I can talk to myself
B
beebeejaybee

my area is not ever scheduled for NBN. I would have to install the satellite version,
I’m on an ADSL service
B
Accepted Solution

Is the phone plugged into green phone port on the modem or into a phone socket?

If plugged into modem try ringing with phone plugged into phone socket.

If still not ringing try ringing with modem PSTN port disconnected and phone plugged into wall phone socket.

If still not ringing try ringing with modem completely disconnected from phone wall socket and phone plugged into wall phone socket.

If phone rings with either phone plugged into wall socket or PSTN port on modem disconnected or PSTN port and DSL Port disconnected then it could be a faulty modem.

beebeejaybee

I’m suspecting faulty modem, I have an old style phone connection (the flat 3 pin type) the phone was plugged into the green port I don’t know how to plug both modem and phone in without resorting to the old filter from my old modem, reverted to previous setup old telstra modem and filter everything works better with the old modem 🤔
B

You should be able to use the filter with the new modem. Connect DSL port of filter to DSL port of New modem and phone port of filter to phone. Leave the PSTN port on new modem disconnected.

Phone Wall Socket ------- ADSL Filter (DSL Port) ------------ (DSL Port) New Modem

(Phone Port) --------- Phone

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now