CrowdSupport®
colin00
Level 1: Cadet

noise on phoneline and no dial tone but adsl works

Answered

Hi my home phone line with telstra has noise on it with no dial tone but my adsl supplied by dodo still works. I wondered if theres a way to test the line without risking an un needed callout. My internet has been dropping in and out all weekend and my uniden phone says check phone line. I have done the isolation test and theres been no power outages, my internet works at the moment but I don't have a spare phone to see if its my phone that is broken. I hear no noise when I disconnect the line from it. (Its a uniden wireless dect). Is there a way I can get my line checked remotely?thanks colin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: noise on phoneline and no dial tone but adsl works

Just call 132200 and report a fault with your landline.  A technician will most likely have to check the connections at the exchange and the local pit.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Just call 132200 and report a fault with your landline.  A technician will most likely have to check the connections at the exchange and the local pit.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

watty13
Level 1: Cadet

Sorry to interupt but if home phone and mobile are down how do you contact Telstra/NBN ?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Watty13

If you had access to another Mobile phone service you'd use that, or if you've got access to another internet service like Mobile Broadband you could chat with us.
Otherwise you'd need to contact us from a connection elsewhere, so a payphone, friends phone, work phone etc. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

AW_99
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Hi Colin00,

It sounds like it is your phone or "line filter" that what's causing the issue. Your internet - namely your modem is most likely connected directly to the exchange line and in order to make it to work properly all other devices i.e. phones, faxes you use at home must be connected via the "line filter".

No, you don't need to make "un needed callout" but you must have a working spare phone and / or line filter to be able to isolate this fault yourself. Also you need to perform replacement of the phone and than line filter (if needed) while your internet is working properly.

If you unable to follow those steps - Jupiter and Steph have already indicated a correct way to get you back on the air - please call 132200.

Best of luck.

AW_99     

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now