CrowdSupport®
12Max34
Level 2: Rookie

"NGC Voice Service - HFC"- Will VoIP Phone Work On This Service!

Answered

After being on the Telstra Cable for 16 Years we finally moved over to the NBN service last week. The OLD phone line was via the Copper Land Line & the Internet was via a Hybrid Fibre Coax - HFC.

The transistion from Telstra HFC to NBN was fairly smooth with a few minor hiccups.

The Copper Land Line was ported and our Phone Account now says:

"NGC Voice Service - HFC"

Following is the Gear we currently got on our system:

Arris CM8200B, Technicolor DJA2030 Smart Modem Router & Uniden DECT Phones. 

Both the Internet & Phone work perfectly fine. No issues what so ever.

My question is: We are planning on fitting NEW VoIP phones to our home.

Will it work.

The Brand & Model of phone we plan to purchase & install are:

Siemens Gigaset C530AIP Trio VoIP Cordless ECO DECT Phone C530 IP with 3 Handsets GAP and answering machine at the Base station.

Our NEW Updated Account Says: "NGC Voice Service - HFC" …. Is this a Telstra VoIP Service.

Can some one at Telstra please confirm that because we are using ALL ORIGINAL Telstra supplied Gear.

Arris CM8200B connected via UNI-D Port into Technicolor DJA2030 Smart Modem Router that ALL will be OK and that VoIP will work on this set up.

I plan to use "Auto" configuration for VoIP as per Siemens Gigaset C530AIP instructions.

I have read in numerous posts that Telstra do NOT provide SIP settings to customers hence my concerns about buying this gear. I want to be sure to be sure before going ahead with this purchase.

As per Siemens user manual, in "Auto" configuration there is NO SIP setting inputs needed. Just asks for a VoIP service providers name only.

Hopefully once the VoIP service providers name (Telstra) has been inputted the system will "Auto" find the SIP servers?!.

Look forward to favourable response.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
12Max34
Accepted Solution

Re: "NGC Voice Service - HFC"- Will VoIP Phone Work On This Service!

Hi cf4,
The Gigaset C530AIP will not auto configure with a Telstra consumer VOIP phone service. It can only be used with base plugged into green phone port of Telstra modem.
Excellent answer. Short & Sweet. Thank you.

I did enquire about getting upgraded to a Home Business Plan.
The extra added cost going from $80 per month to $100 per month breaks the deal for us.

Until some changes happen at Telstra we will put up with Uniden WDECT Phones.
It's sad but that's the end of the road for us when it comes to having Clear Crisp Sounds on our phones at home. The Uniden WDECT work well but the "Resampled" to Analogue signal downstream of the DJA0230 Router is JUST average.

Thank you very much for all your kind help in this matter.

Cheers

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It probably won't work in VOIP mode. Just plug the analogue port of the basestation in to the green phone port of the DJA2030 and set the Gigaset up as a Landline Phone. It will work in that mode.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
12Max34

Hi Jupiter,
Thanks for the above response.

Just plug the analogue port of the basestation in to the green phone port of the DJA2030 and set the Gigaset up as a Landline Phone. It will work in that mode.
Not sure if you read my query in its entirity. I still have NOT purchased the Siemens Gigaset C530AIP as yet. Our existing "Uniden" WDECT phones at present work fine but we are looking to going VoIP.

Our NEW Updated Account Says: "NGC Voice Service - HFC" …. Is this a Telstra VoIP Service.

If I were to buy the Siemens Gigaset C530AIP what else do I need to do for it to work as VoIP phone service.

Is VoIP a totally different service?
Currently we are paying $80 per month for our bundle. [OLD Land Line & Internet =$80]
Do we have to Pay extra for a VoIP service?

We were told that VoIP was a given with the NEW NBN Service as the NEW service was ALL Digital.
Please answer the question: Why you think VoIP Mode won't work as per your response.
Then please explain how I go about getting it to work via my updated "NGC Voice Service - HFC".

There is NO real benefit to us in buying the Siemens Gigaset C530AIP if I was going to use it like a "Land Line Phone". The Uniden WDECT phones that we currently have in use are just doing exactly that.

So once again: How do I get VoIP Mode to work, IF I purchased the NEW Siemens Gigaset C530AIP.

Thank you.
Level 24: Supreme Being

In the case of the NBN, the Telstra Modem is the VOIP adapter. Technically your current UNIDEN's are using VOIP for the voice calls.

You can't configure a third party VOIP ATA to use telstra credentials, hence why Jupiter advised that the Siemens won't work in VOIP mode
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Telstra don't provide SIP details for setting up third party VOIP equipment so will not be able to configure the Siemens Gigaset C530AIP to work as a VOIP phone. There is no benefit in using the Siemens Gigaset C530AIP over your Uniden XDECT phones. The only benefit is if you buy another VOIP service from a third party VOIP service to provide extra phone numbers.

Telstra provides free VOIP service with all its NBN internet connections so the cost of the VOIP service will be included in the $80 per month.
12Max34

Hi Yastiandrie,
In the case of the NBN, the Telstra Modem is the VOIP adapter. Technically your current UNIDEN's are using VOIP for the voice calls.

You can't configure a third party VOIP ATA to use telstra credentials, hence why Jupiter advised that the Siemens won't work in VOIP mode.

Sorry, I think I am missing something here.
The "Uniden" WDECT that I am currently using are our OWN units. They are NOT from Telstra.
The "Uniden" WDECT phones work reasonably well but lack modern features and the Sound is NOT as crisp as the Newer VoIP phones that I have used at work. Modern VoIP Phones use HD Sound and are clear as!

So, when you say: the Telstra Modem is the VOIP adapter. Technically your current UNIDEN's are using VOIP for the voice calls.
Then why is it NOT possible for the Siemens Gigaset C530AIP to hook up to DJA2030A Telstra Modem VOIP adapter and work in "VoIP" Mode.

Are you saying: If I want VoIP to work 100% on a Siemens Gigaset C530AIP as designed with ALL it's features then I need to go with a different provider because the C530AIP is considered a third party VOIP ATA by Telstra?

Also I have still NOT got a clear answer:
is "NGC Voice Service - HFC" …. Is this a Telstra VoIP Service. [Yes or No].
In your response: you use the words "VoIP Adaptor"… so I take it that the signals are VoIP but are resampled to be compatible for the OLD Land line phones?

Please advise.

Thank you.

The NGC Voice Service HFC. The NGC is a Telstra phone service. The modem converts the digital signal to analogue signal suitable for use with a conventional fixed line handset.

Because the signal is transmitted as a digital signal it clear than a normal landline service.

If you want VOIP to work 100% on a Siemens Giga C530AIP you will have to consider a third party VOIP provider or connect change to a Telstra business plan.
12Max34

Hi cf4,
Just seen your response to my query after responding to Yastiandrie.

This is so confusing to say the least:
Telstra provides free VOIP service with all its NBN internet connections so the cost of the VOIP service will be included in the $80 per month.

So if Telstra provides FREE VoIP Service, then WHY do I need another third party VOIP service to provide extra phone numbers.

Please update.

Thank you.

Telstra only provide one phone number free as do all ISPs that provide a phone service with the NBN connection. Extra phone numbers are extra.

12Max34

Hi cf4
Thanks for ALL your prompt responses.
If you want VOIP to work 100% on a Siemens Giga C530AIP you will have to consider a third party VOIP provider or connect change to a Telstra business plan.
OK. Got it. I will consider going to a Telstra "Business" Plan.

To Jupiter & Yastiandrie, a BIG Thank You for your kind responses as well.

Cheers
12Max34

Hi cf4,
Telstra only provide one phone number free with VoIP service.
Yes understand.

So why can't I use this same number, disconnect the "Uniden" WDECT Phones and then connect up the NEW Gigaset C530AIP and "Auto" configure the Giga into "VoIP Mode" with an IP address on the Base station [Master Phone]?
The Cordless [Slave Phones] will then work via the DECT mode on the Gigaset C530AIP.
Please update.
Thank you.

The Gigaset C530AIP will not auto configure with a Telstra consumer VOIP phone service. It can only be used with base plugged into green phone port of Telstra modem.
12Max34
Accepted Solution

Hi cf4,
Excellent answer. Short & Sweet. Thank you.

I did enquire about getting upgraded to a Home Business Plan.
The extra added cost going from $80 per month to $100 per month breaks the deal for us.

Until some changes happen at Telstra we will put up with Uniden WDECT Phones.
It's sad but that's the end of the road for us when it comes to having Clear Crisp Sounds on our phones at home. The Uniden WDECT work well but the "Resampled" to Analogue signal downstream of the DJA0230 Router is JUST average.

Thank you very much for all your kind help in this matter.

Cheers

View solution in original post

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now