FullCircle
Level 1: Cadet

Huawei and US Blacklist and removal of Google Apps

With the recent blacklisting of Huawei by the US government for fears of spying.  Google has made an announcement saying they are restricting the access by Huawei to Google Apps.

The Google spokesman was clear to say that this will not affect current devices only new ones.  

What is Telstra's position on this as I entered a contract for my P30pro on the assumption that the phone would not be restricted in anyway now or in the future.  

I guess Im asking if we do get restricted access what recourse is available?  Especially since in light of this my employer will possibly block access to corporate emails on Huawei devices.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Huawei and US Blacklist and removal of Google Apps

IMHO,

1. if the restrictions will come from the Australian government, you will struggle to get any recourse from Telstra
  2. your assumption doesn't matter much - I don't think there is anything in your contract saying that "your phone will not be restricted in anyway", plus see 1.
  3. if your employer expects you to use your mobile for work, your employer should provide it... 
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
FullCircle
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks ForensicGuru

I agree with your points.

For the second point the only thing that is a very tenuous link to the contract is Fair Use. But that is very thin and would need to be tested in court.

For point three Im hoping they do block it, it will be unusual to disconnect from work.
Level 21: Augmented

@FullCircle wrote:
Thanks ForensicGuru

I agree with your points.

For the second point the only thing that is a very tenuous link to the contract is Fair Use. But that is very thin and would need to be tested in court.

For point three Im hoping they do block it, it will be unusual to disconnect from work.

Fair use is not at all related to what you are talking. If I understand it correctly it is about you and your fair use (i.e. not abusing the system, not misusing free data etc, not about the ISP) not about your provider. I would not try to contest it in the court... But I might be wrong. While I have fairly good understanding of legal matters, I am not a lawyer... And I have learnt that hard way recently while trying to do my own conveyancing... 

TBH, I do not understand your response in regards to point three...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It is almost identical to the ZTE situation from a couple of years ago.
Your phone will continue to work.
It should continue to keep access to the Google Play Store.
Telstra most likely won't be selling any new Huawei model phones after the current one, and may even remove it from sale if things escalate in the US.
If your employer really wants to contact you after hours, they should ring you. Nobody should be expected to check their emails 24/7.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now