Laikzy005
Level 1: Cadet

Network Setting

Answered

I have Huawei Ideos 5 and a HTC Wildfire phones and use the sims interchangeably. However, the Huawei Ideos 5 phone only recognises Optus and Vodaphone networks but not Telstra. I am with Telstra Mobile and ahve been for years.

My Telstra mobile works with HTC Wildfire and I recently cahnged over to Huawei Ideos 5. Both phones are unlocked phones.

Intresting though, the Telstra works when I am at a shopping centre etc but currently does not work at home.

I have tried settings etc to change preferred netwrks but the jolly thing still does not work.

Can someone help me please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Network Setting

The Ideos 5 works at the shopping centre because there will be a 2100MHz Telstra transmitter there. Unfortunately, for most places you need access to the 850MHz band, which the Ideos 5 does not support.

It sees the Optus network because they use the 900MHz band, which the Ideos 5 can use.

It can see the Vodafone network because they haven't shut down hteir GSM network yet.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

The Ideos 5 works at the shopping centre because there will be a 2100MHz Telstra transmitter there. Unfortunately, for most places you need access to the 850MHz band, which the Ideos 5 does not support.

It sees the Optus network because they use the 900MHz band, which the Ideos 5 can use.

It can see the Vodafone network because they haven't shut down hteir GSM network yet.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Laikzy005

Smiley Happy

Thank you for the reply post on my enquiry regarding the Huawei Ideos x5. The shopfront person in the Telstra store at a local shopping centre near where I live could not even tell me what was wrong. I eventually contacted a telco mate of mine and he told me the same thing you just replied to.

Thank you again for your assitance.

Laikzy005

PS: Time to upgrade to a new phone, I reckon

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Laikzy005 - sorry to read that the store were not able to straighten that out for you, having worked in the retail environment the knowledge on the network and technical side of things was a bit hit and miss from person to person, though I am disappointed there wasn't someone in the store who would know, and that an effort wasn't made to find out. If you can tell me which store it was I am happy to pass on your feedback.

@Jupiter - top work as always.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Laikzy005

Thank you for the feedback. I did get a new sim upgrade to 3/4G instead but that still did not resolve the issue with the Huawei Ideos x5. The store did advice me that Telstra no longer carried 2G as this was fazed out by Dec 1 but of course could not tell me the tech reasons for why the Huawei Ideos x5 could not receive the teltra signals. You did  as well as my tech mate.

While I appreciate you wanting to know the store in question, I am hesitant to name the Telstra shop. I don't want to jeopardise those that work there.

I just need to get a new phone as the Huawei Ideos x5 does not have a capacity  to receive higher signals.

Thank you again and Merry Christmas.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Laikzy005 - I appreciate your concern. I wasn't looking to scalp anyone, I can assure you; having worked in retail for Telstra I know how difficult it can be to meet all the demands put on a worker in that space. I hope that by providing constructive feedback along the lines of "Hey, this is what happened, this was the question, the customer's experience was this, and here's the answer", the store will be able to better serve the next customer that comes along with the same or similar problem.

Information shared is power shared. It's been our pleasure, and I hope you had a great day today.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now