CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra One Number Huawei mobile + Samsung watch

I have just bought a new Samsung Galaxy LTE Watch and tried to use the Telstra One Number with my Telstra plan. Unfortunately I could not get this to work and called up the call centre. I was told that only certain Samsung mobile phones are supported even though the Samsung Galaxy LTE Watch itself is supported. 

When will Telstra increase support for other phones? Right now my new Samsung Galaxy LTE watch wasted.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Telstra One Number Huawei mobile + Samsung watch

Hi @SammoHung Welcome to CrowdSupport! 

I apologise that at this time Telstra One Number isn’t compatible when Samsung Galaxy Watch is used with Non-Samsung Android handsets. Android handset owners can still connect Galaxy Watch via Bluetooth though. 

I hope this helps! 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Clearly it doesn't help as the request is for LTE support on a watch that is designed for LTE support.

I also too was in a Telstra shop yesterday, was getting help on my non-Samsung android device to setup a new Telstra account, and whilst I was there I enquired on the Samsung Galaxy Watch. I ended purchasing the Samsung Galaxy Watch, and was advised it may take an hour or so for the service to be ready to support the One Number service on the watch. Went home, waited a few hours then tried to setup the watch. It wouldnt allow a One Number support on the phone....Only later today I found out the Telstra One Number service will not extend to non-samsung android phones!

This really needs to be rectified with Telstra services and also your sales teams! The watch is designed for the eSim technology to work on any phone?

Very disappointed Telstra...
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hello LH78 I apologise that at this time eSIM One Number is not available between the Samsung watch and non-Samsung mobile handsets, and for any inconvenience caused while this is the case. You can still connect via Bluetooth. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Whilst the watch may work with any phone, Samsung have obviously limited LTE access and activation to just Samsung handsets for now.
Ex Telstra staff from several years ago.
Highlighted

Good morning. The point of purchasing the 4G watch was for the 4G connectivity and not so I can use Bluetooth. Also I think your response should be clarified that it's only for certain Samsung branded handsets as well. I don't want other people to fall into the same trap.

Is this something that Telstra can unlock themselves? I can't see why the Telstra one number has to be exclusive to Samsung or Apple unless it's due to a commercial agreement between Telstra and Samsung/Apple. 

Am I able to connect my Samsung Galaxy watch as a new number?

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Having a new number still wouldn't work as the only way to set up the watch is to use one of the newer Samsung Galaxy phones. At the moment there doesn't appear to be any other way of applying the settings to the watch.

The problem isn't in the Telstra One Number system in itself, it is the way in which Samsung has set up the method by which you can update the LTE settings in the watch itself.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thanks Jupiter. So a workaround will be to borrow a Samsung galaxy handset to set up my telstra one number and then revert back to my Huawei handset with my sim card?
Highlighted

Other people have reported that that has worked for them.
It is definitely worth a shot.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I was booked in to see the Samsung store about this issue and see what they could offer. To my surprise when I checked the Samsung Wear app this morning to give it one final try...it worked! So I cancelled my Samsung store appointment. Tested it and it worked!

Highlighted

Excellent news. Looks like Samsung finally got their update rolled out.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit