CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

2.4ghz not working

Our wifi has been down since Friday 24th Jan. We have mobile broadband and all of a sudden it spat us out. It says several things are connected to it however our computers are not connecting, our network is not working, so we can not access files for our business. We have spoken to Telstra whom just keep saying there is a problem with the device or sim or both. The thing is, this has happened before, and we were told the same thing. Last time it happened we purchased a new prepaid device (Telstra) just to get us through. I brought it home and it didn't work either! When I change the device from 2.4ghz to 5ghz, our computers connect, however our router for the network will not. This is extremely frustrating and we are unable to run our business properly.  No help from Telstra what so ever.  Our nearest Telstra shop is a 120km round trip and I fail to see how they can help us anyway when it appears to be an outage affecting our area.  Nothing appears online when I look up outages for our street.  Nothing showed online last time either and all of a sudden it started working again one afternoon.  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: 2.4ghz not working

@Johnkell Many users who have trouble with the 2.4GHz band find going into the modem settings under WiFi and turn off Band Steering (Then save/reboot modem).

This creates separate ssids for the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz bands.

Other things you can do while in the WiFi setting is to change (If not already) Channel Width to Auto 20/40 MHz

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted

Thanks Ozmoz, is that online or within the device itself as I can't see 'Band Steering' anywhere.

Thanks, Kellie.

Highlighted

@Johnkell wrote:

Thanks Ozmoz, is that online or within the device itself as I can't see 'Band Steering' anywhere.

Thanks, Kellie.

@Johnkell In the mode settings.

Log in to the modem, click Advanced, go into WiFi then scroll down till you see it.

The Channel Width setting that I also mentioned is above that setting.

Don't forget to SAVE and REBOOT the modem.

Highlighted

I've had a look when I log on online using the ip address but I can't see Advance anywhere.  The tabs I see are Home, WLan Status, SMS, Update, Settings, More.  I will keep searching.

Highlighted

@Johnkell wrote:

I've had a look when I log on online using the ip address but I can't see Advance anywhere.  The tabs I see are Home, WLan Status, SMS, Update, Settings, More.  I will keep searching.

@Johnkell Do you know the modem model number?

The models probably vary to what I see when I first log into the modem.

But, the first area I would go in with what you have posted above is "Settings"

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Are you trying to connect your router to a mobile broadband modem via the 2.4 GHz WiFi? If you are what model broadband device do you have and what is the make and model of the router.

Highlighted

We have had the device for some time now, this is the second time this problem has happened.  We normally just leave the modem alone and it is always set at 2.4 GHz.  The router normally connects without an issue but at the moment there seems to be a fault with Telstra stopping the 2.4 GHz from working (on 2 separate devices).  The Modem is a Huawei: E5786s - 62a . It's not just the router that won't connect, our mobiles, my Seneye for my fish tank and 3 computers also will not connect.  I changed the modem to 5 Ghz basically so I could get online and also download emails but it has not allowed me to connect to the network as not all devices are compatible with 5 GHz, including our router.

Highlighted

I still can't find that option in any of the tabs including the setting tab unfortunately.  Thanks for your advice though Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@cf4 wrote:

Are you trying to connect your router to a mobile broadband modem via the 2.4 GHz WiFi? If you are what model broadband device do you have and what is the make and model of the router.

@Johnkell Different type of modem (tHuawei: E5786s - 62a) than what I was thinking. 

@cf4 Knows more about modems than I do so will leave it in his capable hands :-)

Highlighted

It sounds like the 2.4 GHz WiFi band on the modem is faulty. The mobile network doesn't know which WiFi band devices are connected on. If a device doesn't have internet access on the 2.4GHz WiFi but but has internet access on 5 GHz WiFi then the problem is due to a fault in modem or a incorrect setting in the modem. Have you got WiFi extender mode turned off?

Highlighted

We haven't changed any settings, it just stopped working and the other prepaid device is doing the same thing.  I don't even know how to change the setting of the WiFi extender.  Wish I could try a different network to see if it helps.  We don't have NBN or ADSL available to us so this is all we have at the moment.  We have Foxtel so as soon as our IQ3 box arrives we are going to set up broadband with them as we are sick of this just happening all of a sudden and no one has any answers. We will get unlimited data with Foxtel, with this modem, when it's working we only get 10g.  We have to scrummage between our mobiles for extra data to run 2 businesses and we also have a teenage son.  Like I said, this happened last year, Telstra said it was the device so we bought a prepaid one, which did the same thing.  Then all of a sudden both started working again, no settings changed. 

Highlighted

You can change the setting in the modem by opening a web browser on a device connected to modem and going to http://182.168.8.1 (The default user name is admin, The default password is admin). 

There is a quick start manual at link below.

https://www.manualslib.com/download/936079/Huawei-E5786.html

Have you tried turning the WiFi of on the device and then back on?

Highlighted

@Johnkell One thing I would like to add...

Is the modem running the latest firmware version? It looks like it is version or higher 21.316.21.01.302

Highlighted

When I logged on online I did an update check and it said there were no updates??  Not sure if that would include firmare but I will have another look Smiley Happy

Highlighted

thank you, I will try that link.  The modem has been turned off and on, hard reset too.  The strange thing is, both the modems connect to the computers if on 5 GHz.  The modems also work if you take them away from the house, like 1.5km away, closer to town centre.  They will connect to an ipad then.  It's weird.  It's done it before, suddenly stopped then all of a sudden worked again.  Last time it was down for about 24 hrs, so this has been 4 days down now.  When the Foxtel box arrives we will be hooking up broadband with them.  We might look back into Telstra again once NBN is available in our area, but honestly I doubt it, unless Foxtel is really bad.

Highlighted

It sounds like there is something in your premises emitting a signal in the 2.4 GHz WiFi band that is interfering with the 2.4 GHz WiFi. You could try turning all electrical equipment off including Pcs and disconnect them from power point and then see if a device that only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi. will connect. Bluetooth devices and microwave ovens can cause interference. A neighbours WiFi network might also cause interference. You could try changing the 2.4 Ghz WiFi channel in the modem incase your neighbour might be using the same channel.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit