Highlighted
Mnemonic
Level 1: Cadet

320U Aircard & External COL2190 Cellular Antenna

Answered

HI,

I have the Telstra Sierra 320U Aircard and purchased the 107cm external COL2190 Cellular Antenna with patch leads.  I have mounted the antenna and attached the path lead to the end of the antenna cable and then on to the 320U.

MY question is; does it need to be in a particular slot or can either slot be used. 

The reason for my enquiry is that it is supposed to be a 6.5dBi boost and yet I see no difference in the signal and certainly do not get the green 4G light despite being within the 4G coverage area.

Mnemonic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: 320U Aircard & External COL2190 Cellular Antenna

Either antenna slot on the Telsra device can be used. Can you post a screenshot (With your address omitted) of your coverage via http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/our-coverage/mobile-broadband/index.htm
Lathania

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Either antenna slot on the Telsra device can be used. Can you post a screenshot (With your address omitted) of your coverage via http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/our-coverage/mobile-broadband/index.htm
Lathania

Hi Lathania,

Thanks for your input re the antenna slot. 

I am literally right on the line of the 4G and the blue 20 Mbps to the north of wollongong. Was hoping the antenna would help drag it in so to speak.

I thought you might have been hence my question. 4G has low signal penetration so while if you were 100 meters in the air above your house you may get signal at your address it's unlikely you'll get it on the edge of any coverage map with 4G. Additionally all coverage maps are prediction maps as it's impossible to take 100% of environmental affects into account.
Lathania

I know this is an old thread, but still very relevant, and I feel that the issue was not really solved.

Re: the COL2190 antenna.

It might be 6.5dBi on nextG 850MHz but Im guessing its gain is more like 3dBi on 1800MHz, I could not find any data online for the COL2190. So then theres the coax , if your using RG58 or even LMR200, that 3dBi may be 0dBi by the time the signal gets to your modem.

Now , if you have Line of sight to the 4G tower you would be much better off using a Yagi Antenna designed for 4G 1800MHz.

Ive installed a few of these with fantastic results: on 4G LTE:

and

Info about towers here:

You might want to consider going for the LMR400 coax also.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now