CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
fraserp
Level 1: Cadet

3G Simm in Pre-paid Telstra 3G wireless dongle

Answered

Hi. As part of my Telstra package I have a 3G Simm card that has a monthly data allowance.  I would like to use the data credit to provide my WIFI only laptop with 3G access.  I purchased (off ebay) a Telstra USB 3G (E353T) but it says "prepaid" on the box (and I am not sure if that is significant?).  when I plug it into my laptop, it boots the preloaded software and asks me to validate the account (or words to that effect) but it then times out as if it can't make the connection.  The lights on the USB seem to indicate that it is functional (ie blue flashing and then solid blue).  I know the SIMM is active as I put it in a 3G phone and could make a call with it.  Is this an incompatibility between "paid" and "pre-paid" and is there a solution to it?  Or can anyone else suggest a solution???   Thanks F

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: 3G Simm in Pre-paid Telstra 3G wireless dongle

The SIM you have should, as far as I am aware, work in an unlocked device or Telstra locked (pre-paid or post paid) device but not a BigPond device (these are locked to an account).

Given what you have provided I don't see why this wouldn't work. I will flag this with one of our mobile experts to see if they can assist you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 23: Superhero

Hi Fraser,

I can't seem to find any decent information on the process you have to follow.

At a guess I would've said if it can accept a SIM card prepaid/post paid would mean nothing. Possibly need a APN change?

So I assume you put your sim into the device? I would also assume the sim has a pin? When it states validate the account, are you talking about username and password?

Cheers,
Dave

fraserp

Hi Dave....thanks for your reply.  I put the SIM in all seems OK.  When I put the USB dongle into the laptop it boots the software on the dongle however it appears it is expecting a prepaid Sim as it attempts to connect online to bigpond.....this is the reason behind my question.  After a while the connection fails.  So I "suspect" the software is looking to validate online the Sim which it can't do as it is the "wrong type"....but I am only guessing.  It hasn't asked me for any username/password etc.  I have never had a pre-paid Sim and I assume it doesn't ask for username/password as you have already paid your money.  I don't believe it is a data only Sim.....just a Sim with a data credit that I would like to access in the manner described.  Fraser

Weird that a telstra prepaid takes you to bigpond (that don't have a prepaid service)

So the through the modems manager it looks like it trying to connect or does it open up a browser window?

Can you see the device as a connect network on the computer?

Are you able to obtain the DNS IP as one might be able to log into the device and change/add settings.

Sadly I don't know enough about this little device so it's all guess work.

Cheers,
Dave

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

The SIM you have should, as far as I am aware, work in an unlocked device or Telstra locked (pre-paid or post paid) device but not a BigPond device (these are locked to an account).

Given what you have provided I don't see why this wouldn't work. I will flag this with one of our mobile experts to see if they can assist you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

fraserp

Thanks DanK and Caaf....I think I gave you a bum steer with the bigpond reference....please ignore that. 

However in the meantime, I think I have solved the issue......I needed to select the option "I have already activated my account" and it seems to proceed and connect to the network.  It appears the "Pre-paid" language was putting me off and I should have just ignored it.  Thank you for your assistance....I will come back if I have other problems...

Fraser

PS....I love the technology/options involved in this site Smiley Happy

Thanks for reporting back and I'm glad you worked through it. The end result is a good one.. Happy surfing Smiley Wink

Cheers,
Dave

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now