CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
scales82
Level 2: Rookie

3G Tower down in Rural QLD for over a month.......

Answered

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a unique problem that is affecting not only me but several hundred users where I work.

I work at a mine site in central Queensland and we have our very own pair of Telstra towers out here with 3g equipped. One at the work site and one where we live. The one where we live has gone down and now 3g is non-existent, so no internet. and the residual phone reception we have there from the same tower is practically non-existent also.

When i rang Telstra to find out an ETA on a repair, they just want a postcode (which we dont have as there is no postal service here) and cannot identify any faults or even where we are.

I heard from the grape vine that the powers that be have contacted telstra as we are a "premium corporate customer" or something along those lines, im guessing the company paid a fortune for these towers to be installed. but its been over a month and still no resolution....

What can i do to find out what is going on from Telstra? or get some re-imbursment for un-used net on my wireless dongle given it seems they have no idea we are having problems when i call their standard customer support line....

Cheers

PS The Tower that is down, has a  sign out the front of the hut saying "The Monument Exchange" and thats a proper Telstra sign.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
scales82
Accepted Solution

Re: 3G Tower down in Rural QLD for over a month.......

and to proove further that your company obviously doesnt know what the hell is going on within itself. I just received email from the company saying the 3g has been reset back at camp by a tech and is now working.

way to keep the internal channels open telstra.

hopefully its not just a band-aid fix, guess ill find out in a few hours when i go back to camp.

dont get me wrong, i am happy as anything.... just really un-satisfied how things get handled. but i really shouldnt be surprised, not the first time something like this has happened as a customer of telstra and im sure not the last. too bad you have the monopoly over coverage and know it...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
brandonz
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi there,

All I could suggest at this stage is that you try calling Telstra's Enterprise and Government faults line on 1800 730 062. I would assume that as a "premium corporate customer" you would fall under the TEG banner.

If something I've said has been helpful to you, I'd love to hear about it! To give me Kudos, just click the 'sunshine' icon over on the left-hand side of the page under my avatar. Thanks a bunch!
scales82

ill give it a go, but im just a regular employee. so dont know if i qualify personally.
iFix-au

I wouldn't wait with this company, go straight to the office of the CEO David Thodey and complain - period. Next (as much as one minute) after finishing your comments to the CEO lodge a complaint with the Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman, I find that tends to be a catalyst in getting action with this company. Good luck!
brandonz

Uh, no, iFix-au. That's not how things are done. The TIO will kick you to the kerb if you don't make reasonable efforts to resolve the issue with the company first. As much as I have issues with Telstra, your comments are simply wrong.

Plus, you really need to check your facts regarding the TIO's jurisdiction. They will not deal with enterprise and government issues:

"Before contacting us, please complete this checklist to see if the TIO can help you.

• Are you a residential consumer or small business?"
If something I've said has been helpful to you, I'd love to hear about it! To give me Kudos, just click the 'sunshine' icon over on the left-hand side of the page under my avatar. Thanks a bunch!
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@iFix-au wrote:
I wouldn't wait with this company, go straight to the office of the CEO David Thodey and complain - period. Next (as much as one minute) after finishing your comments to the CEO lodge a complaint with the Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman, I find that tends to be a catalyst in getting action with this company. Good luck!

The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman is an "Office of Last Resort". You must first make attempts to resolve the issue with your Service Provider before escalating to the TIO, and the TIO will reject any "First Resort" complaints.

The TIO is also not a stick that can be used to threaten a Service Provider into doing something that they don't want to do (for example, letting you out of your contract because you want to, and not for any other reason).

PS: You were contacted by a Mod without having to go to the TIO by the look of it?

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Ben_F

Scales92, Do you know the postcode of the nearest town or area to you? sometimes they put you under that postcode?

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey iFix-au,

Thank you for your feedback regarding this matter.

Although raising a complaint with the CEO may resolve your troubles, Telstra does offer a range of different contact methods where we are more than happy to assist with matter with Telstra services.

Raising a complaint to the CEO is not the first contact method we recommend.

Generally if a customer does have a matter that needs some investigation we recommend contacting us via one of the following methods.

Contact Telstra on the phone on 13 2200.

Reach out to us on Twitter

Chat to us on Facebook

Talk online to us via our Live Chat service.

And also ask the community here on crowd support.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

QwertFu
Level 12: Master Detective

To get this thread back on track... scales82, is it possible you could provide any or all of the below?

• The name of the mine site.
  • The name of the access road.
  • GPS coords would be fantastic.
  • A link from a maps search site.
  • Any other info you can see on that sign.

If I can find the site, I can report the fault for you (if it has not been done allready). If you are not happy to post this publicly, please just pm me the details.

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.
scales82

*sigh*

been through that (the postcode stuff) with the person on the phone........ when it didnt work they were no help. which is stupid cos i even gave them tower id codes and everything. why cant they find that out when i can with a simple internet search????
guess the canned responses arent as helpful as telstra think.

ill pm you more details about gps stuff and that mate.

QwertFu

So I have found The Monument Exchange and here's the deal. The Monument Exchange is actually a repeater type station for another nearby tower on Phosphate Hill. There is currently a known outage with 3G Data services on the Phosphate Hill tower. It's very unusual that an outage like this has not been resolved by now. I have contacted our QLD network techs, and hopefully I can provide more information shortly. For now Scales, please sit tight and I'll post back here as soon as I know more.

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.
scales82

thanks qwertfu,
the strange thing is.... the Phosphate hill tower works fine, in fact i am using it right now!
QwertFu

Hmmm... Well I'll add that information to the report and see what our QLD techs have to say.

scales82

thank you, can you get back to me as soon as there is any idea of when a tech is scheduled to be out here? (as opposed to an eta of a fix) there is A LOT of angry people around here and people are cancelling their accounts in a lot of cases.
QwertFu

As to an exact ETA for a Tech, I dont have that information. What I can tell you is that I received a message from our QLD network group first thing this morning and the issue is in hand.

scales82

um ok? the issue is in hand......... wtf does that mean?

because its been in my hands since nov 20......
Ben_F

@scales82 wrote:
um ok? the issue is in hand......... wtf does that mean?

because its been in my hands since nov 20......

It means that we are now aware there is an issue, and Technicians are working to resolve it. At the moment, there is no Estimated Time of Resolution.

New Users - Click Here!

QwertFu

I know you've been having this issue for a long time now scales. We have been looking into it for some time as well. Please think of this is a "duck on a pond" type of thing. It may look all calm and scerene and like not much is being done on the surface, but underneath is a whirlwind of activity pushing things along. I looks like site access by road is not easy. Is most access to the site generally by air?

scales82

easily accessable by road, we have plenty of trucks come in on a daily basis.

only time it isnt really accessible is if there is a big wet.

but then most important things like this would have ppl chartered in from mt Isa or townsville. I rekon with some consulation with the company they could organise for a tech to come from townsville on one of the regular passenger flights out, hell they would probably pay for it considering the loss in production.

and yes it very much looks like nothing is happening because no body tells us from your side. its find it hard to believe that such a large company cant schedule technicians and pass that fact on to a customer. and rather rely on "happens when it happens"

i dont care if the tech cant fix it when they are here, just to know they are coming on a day and it MAY be fixed is good enough for me.

not knowing anything at all is more frustrating than having the problem in the first place.

QwertFu

Have you tested the service today at all, are you able to test it now?

scales82
Accepted Solution

and to proove further that your company obviously doesnt know what the hell is going on within itself. I just received email from the company saying the 3g has been reset back at camp by a tech and is now working.

way to keep the internal channels open telstra.

hopefully its not just a band-aid fix, guess ill find out in a few hours when i go back to camp.

dont get me wrong, i am happy as anything.... just really un-satisfied how things get handled. but i really shouldnt be surprised, not the first time something like this has happened as a customer of telstra and im sure not the last. too bad you have the monopoly over coverage and know it...

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi scales, 

Yes - I can confirm service at the Monument Exchange and Phosphate Hill base station should now be restored Smiley Happy 

I am sorry if you were not better informed of this visit and intended repair work - I can definitely appreciate that it's been a massively frustrating time for all involved...

I've been chasing up this matter for about a week and I've been advised that both sites will be monitered carefully in coming days. I'd really appreciate an update from yourself and others at the site! 

I'm really hoping you are now back on 'the grid' and that we are able to serve you better in future. Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now