CrowdSupport®
Level 3: Gumshoe

3G coverage at sea on the Diamond Princess

Answered

Hi!

I'm on the Diamond Princess heading across Bass Strait from Melbourne to Hobart Tasmania.  I have had good 3G coverage much of the way even with no land in siight.  How is this so?  Is there a 3G tower high up a mountain or has the ship got a repeater?  If the latter, does that count as international roaming? I'm using a Telstra 4G Sierra 320U modem in my laptop.  External aerial (a 5dB Jaycar dipole) doesn't seem to make any diffference.  I've got 4 bars out of five outside the cabin on the balcony, two bars in the room. 

Weather's great, ship is doing about 12 knots.  There has been only one phone connection (to "Winnalee" I think.  I guess that's in Northern Tasmania.  It didn't last long.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: 3G coverage at sea on the Diamond Princess

By the way our experience in Bass strait was using a Sony Experia with sim card, NO external areial. Surfed the web, Facebook, sent instant photos to friends and of course email.

Don't know where you are heading with the princess but once you start moving away from Oz and Tassie you'll loose it I'm afraid.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

The following are quotes from: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/in_touch.jsp

The Internet at Sea:

Internet access is available on all Princess Cruises vessels through our 24-hour onboard Internet Café and wireless network.

Use our state-of-the-art computer systems to access your web-based email account, or browse the Internet for world news and sports. Alternatively, you can bring your wireless-enabled laptop and access the Internet through our beautiful Lobby/Atrium or other public areas.

Guests who subscribe to email services from an Internet Service Provider (ISP) are advised to verify that their ISP has a web-mail viewing site prior to sailing. Most major ISPs have websites that allow email access via a web browser using an email address and password.

Please contact the Internet Café Manager onboard for information regarding the charges that apply to Internet and wireless services and any other specific requirements.

Plus – Platinum and Elite Captain’s Circle members benefit from credit toward Internet Café packages.

Please note: Ship Internet access is not guaranteed at all times due to the nature of satellite communications, which are subject to itinerary and possible disruption from weather patterns and various obstructions. Also, Internet access via satellite is significantly slower than high-speed connections on shore.

Mobile Phones at Sea:

Mobile phone reception is available on board all of our ships. A compatible mobile phone and a service plan capable of roaming internationally with Maritime Communications Partners (AS) is required. Make sure you check with your service provider for applicable charges before you depart.

Highlighted

Mr Munst,

thanks for the information, but I am definitely not logged onto the ship's wifi.  It was the second thing i checked to make sure it was not sourced from there.

Highlighted

Hi PJB, we expereinced the same on the Melbourne to Devonport ferries recently. There is not repeater or whatever onboard the Spirit of Tasmania. It's just a freakish thing. I lost 3g on my tablet for about 20 mins in the midle of Bass straight.

Make the most of it while it latsts, mate.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Highlighted

I should of also added that there's no premium cost whilst you got this asvailable, just your normal plan costs bye the way.

Signature.gif

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

RE: "External aerial (a 5dB Jaycar dipole) doesn't seem to make any difference."
No surprise there, even if the true antenna gain is anyting more than 3dBi , most of that will be lost in the thin, very lossy coax attached.
none
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

By the way our experience in Bass strait was using a Sony Experia with sim card, NO external areial. Surfed the web, Facebook, sent instant photos to friends and of course email.

Don't know where you are heading with the princess but once you start moving away from Oz and Tassie you'll loose it I'm afraid.

Signature.gif

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jeff,

thanks!  We're now  off the East Coast of Tas and I'm now on 4G speed (13 MBps!).

I'm impressed.

Highlighted

Hey looks like a nice cruise, Hobart here you come, when do you dock there?

Are you going all the way to Auckland?

You'll be right tomorrow in Hobart, but once you leave Hobart and start heading off to NZ you'll loose signal.

How was the Bass Strait crossing, we had a dream trip both ways no rock and roll what so ever and you should be doing even better as I'd say Diamond Princess is somewhat bigger that the Strait ferries.

Signature.gif

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit