CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
hogradys
Level 3: Gumshoe

3G tower outage The Risk 2474

Answered

No 3G access means no phones and no internet connection for most of our community. Disturbingly there are many older residents who need phone access in case of emergency.

This happened last Sunday 28 Feb at around 0550 but was resolved by 1430. Well done. I didn't think anything would happen outside of normal business hours but Telstra delivered and that's great.

But....it happened again this morning (Wednesday 8 Mar) so I again rang Telstra to report it (fortunately I have chosen to keep a landline). Many of us have no other internet connection (no NBN Fixed Wireless or ADSL) and rely heavily on our 3G tower to conduct our businesses.

I had to go to town (Kyogle) to do my internet work and I checked the Telstra Service Status page and it showed the problem had been resolved at 0500 this morning! When I came home, again there was no service on any of our 7 devices yet we look straight at the tower from our property. I managed to find 1 bar of service as I climbed up the hill on our place. I checked the Service Status - again it showed "Resolution" had occurred. The 1 bar comes from a tower further up the railway line at Cougal NSW 2474 but it's very intermittent and next to useless for internet work.

I have just rung Telstra again but as usual the very polite and pleasant consultant just reads the usual words out of the manual. I am not complaining about these consultants - in fact I enjoy speaking with them and have always had a positive experience. My problems have always been resolved and I'm very happy with Telstra. Been a customer for over 20 years.

I am, however, annoyed that the tower that we all rely on is not working yet is showing as "working" on the Telstra Service Status page. I pay $150 per month for 25GB. I need to use every single GB for my business and twice in this billing period I've not had the required service.

Please Telstra, don't say there's nothing wrong with the tower when there clearly is. It's dishonest and bad business practice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hogradys
Accepted Solution

Re: 3G tower outage The Risk 2474

What...so no Telstra employee can answer this question?

For any frustrated rural Telstra customers who find themselves at wits' end with regard to contacting someone at Telstra regarding tower outages, I have found a solution.

Get on Facebook Messenger and talk to "Telstra 24x7"

Answer within hours....no stupid email saying "we will respond to your query within 5 business days"....no stupid "case manger" who rings you up to tell you that your iPhone 6 is a "non blue-tick" phone so isn't really suitable for rural reception (oh and on your settings, change it from 4G to 3G only). 

TOTALLY INFURIATING!

At least the Telstra 24/7 Facebook (no, not the online chat...oh goodness no!!) gave an acceptable answer. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
hogradys
Accepted Solution

Re: 3G tower outage The Risk 2474

What...so no Telstra employee can answer this question?

For any frustrated rural Telstra customers who find themselves at wits' end with regard to contacting someone at Telstra regarding tower outages, I have found a solution.

Get on Facebook Messenger and talk to "Telstra 24x7"

Answer within hours....no stupid email saying "we will respond to your query within 5 business days"....no stupid "case manger" who rings you up to tell you that your iPhone 6 is a "non blue-tick" phone so isn't really suitable for rural reception (oh and on your settings, change it from 4G to 3G only). 

TOTALLY INFURIATING!

At least the Telstra 24/7 Facebook (no, not the online chat...oh goodness no!!) gave an acceptable answer. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now