CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
midcoast1
Level 5: Eagle Eye

3G21WB V 3G USB DONGLE

Answered

Can anyone tell me honestly why , my 3G21WB modem has continuous dropouts needing to reboot modem to reconnect and there are 2 different people , one 200 metres from me and the other 2 streets away who have 3g USB dongles and have no issues at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
midcoast1
Accepted Solution

Re: 3G21WB V 3G USB DONGLE

Now have the new Bigpond Ultimate Wifi.No dropouts since connection.Faster download speeds.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 23: Superhero

A few years ago I had a 3G21WB and it was a nightmare. In fact I went through 3 of them before finally being released from my contract because even when they sent Telstra radio techs to my house they couldn't figure out why it performed so poorly.

It would drop out all the time (though didn't need a reboot).

All I can suggest is working with tech support through troubleshooting, and if need be see if they can organise a swap to a USB dongle (which can now be connected to a variety of wireless routers).
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
midcoast1
Accepted Solution

Now have the new Bigpond Ultimate Wifi.No dropouts since connection.Faster download speeds.

View solution in original post

knoddix
Level 2: Rookie

have had same issue tried many fixes such as alternate DNS servers
firmware updates/ flashes internal static IPs there is no permanent
resolution for this issue but I have gathered much info to help isolate
the issue such as when the net drops out it is only for browsers / applications relying on the DNS translation for example I seed multiple
Linux kernels via p2p and when the net drops out the p2p transfers continue I have also found that I am unable to ping google via its ip address when the net drops out which is strange considering it doesn't rely on DNS but in saying that it would have to use the same port I.e port 80 as many browsers and DNS reliant applications one would imagine
as google would only allow connections from port 80 one last major thing I have noticed is the fact the unit gets extremely hot when the drop outs occur and I have found one workaround is to turn the unit off for 20 mins then power back on and get 20 mins of connection before issue repeats which could be a chip overheating another workaround I have find is to reset the device to factory defaults then reconfigure it I would recommend saving a router config folder so you can just restore it much quicker so to conclude the issue should not be occurring this frequently the product has been mentioned on many sites around the web it definitely needs to be addressed even if that means a recall it's not fair that I had to pay 299 for this device then be told when I ring tech support after I have done all the troubleshooting without any assistance from them that because I paid my contract out early to keep the device and use it with a prepaid Telstra sim instead that the device won't be replaced inside what would still the 24 month contract like honestly I don't mind if you sell me a lemon as long as your willing to offer a repair or replacement for the lemon without it not costing me and arm and a leg not good enough Telstra not at all p.s the solution provided for this issue by previous user is a work around not a fix for the issue

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now