CrowdSupport®
jjob222
Level 1: Cadet

3g problems since 4g introduced

Hi all have just arrived in Darwin, staying near tthe airport and having lots of trouble with connectivity. Phone (3g) constantly drops calls and only showing at best 4 bars of reception usually 3, all over Darwin. Ultimate wireless 3g modem shows 2 bars reception and very inconsistent with speeds, majority of the time as slow as dial up and connection dropping out constantly.

My neighbours told me they had the same problem with wireless B/B and were told by a telstra rep that the transition to 4g would have this effect on 3g devices. They upgraded to a 4g device and now have perfect reception. I feel this is not fair if it is indeed the case as I signed up to a plan with certain speeds and coverage and now it appears this has been taken from me due to the upgrade. Can anyone tell me if they are having the same problems, or can someone from telstra explain the problem please?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: 3g problems since 4g introduced

@jjob222 wrote:

Hi all have just arrived in Darwin, staying near tthe airport and having lots of trouble with connectivity. Phone (3g) constantly drops calls and only showing at best 4 bars of reception usually 3, all over Darwin. Ultimate wireless 3g modem shows 2 bars reception and very inconsistent with speeds, majority of the time as slow as dial up and connection dropping out constantly.

My neighbours told me they had the same problem with wireless B/B and were told by a telstra rep that the transition to 4g would have this effect on 3g devices. They upgraded to a 4g device and now have perfect reception. I feel this is not fair if it is indeed the case as I signed up to a plan with certain speeds and coverage and now it appears this has been taken from me due to the upgrade. Can anyone tell me if they are having the same problems, or can someone from telstra explain the problem please?

Welcome to Darwin and to CrowdSupport jjob222. I hope the weather isn't killing you Smiley Happy

I'm in Marrara (on the Golf Course, near the Airport), however travel to Casuarina and Palmerston, and I don't notice any issues with my connection (sits at a few bars with my Phone, and I have 3G coverage on my iPhone and 4G coverage on my USB dongle) with the exception of Mitchell St on a Friday night where there are too many people on either Grindr or Facebook Smiley Wink

There were some reports that the 4G upgrade was causing issues with 3G signal, however I'm not sure as to the Validity or the currency of those issues (ie: is it an issue, and is it happening) as I get decent speeds on either.

On my iPhone 4S in my house at Marrara, I am able to pull 1MB (Megabyte) or 10Mbps a second on speedtest.net. My 4G USB pulls about 3MB or 30Mbps a second on 4G. My ADSL pulls 300kB/sec or 3Mbps.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Tron
Level 9: Captain

I may be wrong !!! but i'm sure 4g devices, bar the prepaid, come with stronger internal antenna's.  Also made by a different company,  This may be why your experiencing better connectivity, I do wonder if someone tried replacing your sim card, because, if a sim card, is starting to experience faults, or had become faulty, the signal strength would be more inclined to cause drop outs. 

The antenna's are stronger, and to be honest, if your lucky to be in the 5km radius most 4g areas reside in, per capital city, it would of only been an brief network problem, to do the nessessary upgrades. 

Approximate coverage. Coverage speed and performance is dependent on where you are, the device you are using and can be improved by adding an external antenna

If you are Darwin International Airport is located 13 kilometers from the CBD (around a 15 minute drive). For satellite navigation devices, Darwin International Airport is located in Marrara, Northern Territory. then you wont be in current CBD area, 

to get the Maximum speeds as someone directly in the CBD

I'm sorry you have been experiencing difficulties,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am both a Telstra Customer and a Telstra Employee.
Some of my views may not represent Telstra and are my personal opinion only. I also participate in my own time.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Darwin International Airport is a 10 minute drive from the CBD, and is covered by 4G as per the coverage maps (and its next to the golf course where I live ^_^)

Personally find speeds better out in Marrara then in the City (that could be because I'm checking on a Friday night while drunk in a club ^_^)

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now