Highlighted
Marnz
Level 2: Rookie

4G Internet is extremely slow!

Answered

Hi for the last 3 days I have tried ad failed to be able to load my games that I play on the internet, I have only used 52% of my 8gigs so my connection shouldnt have slowed.  Forgive my ignorance but  I don't actually know how to check the speed so cant give you that information.  I have checked for outages but there is nothing in  my area.  I have 5 bars so the signal is strong, I really have no idea what the problem is.  It took me an hour to get on here and register.  Could there be a problem with the modem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: 4G Internet is extremely slow!

Marnz wrote:
my usage was shaped on Friday 18th May which is exactly when I started having problems. What does this mean?

It means your BigPond Mobile Broadband connection has been running at 64kbps since some time on 18th May, which is why some web pages fail to load in your browser altogether and others take ages. Changing the MTU size on your computer may make the browsing experience slightly smoother, but still in no way near what you would expect from any broadband connection. Trying to play online games when your connection is shaped (or “usage is slowed”) would only be an exercise in frustration.

I have only used 52% of my 8gigs so my connection shouldnt have slowed.

Is that what the Usage Meter on the My services page in My BigPond says? If so, did you switch broadband plans (to the 8GB plan) earlier this month?

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 23: Superhero

Hi Marnz,

If you are able to, would you mind running a speedtest as per the instructions at https://bigpond.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19652/related/1

Another thing to try is to see if your modem has the same issues on another computer (in another location).

Also, is it an issue that only occurs during certain times of the day?

By trying to work through these few things we can help identify whether it's local congestion in your area, or possibly a faulty modem.

Also, don't forget that if you aren't comfortable with doing any of that on your own, you can always call tech support who can walk you through troubleshooting steps over the phone.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Marnz

Hi Kalak, thanks for your reply. I am doing the speedtest now but unfortunately its saying its going to take 8 hours to download the 250mb file but I will continue with it. I have had my modem for some time now and haven't had any issues, in fact, I've been really happy with my purchase so far so this seems unusual. I have a macbook pro version 10.6.8 which is still fairly new so Im hoping its got nothing to do with this problem lol I am a stay at home mum ad internet is crucial as I work form home. The problem started on friday and it has been continually slow at all times since then.

I'll get back to you once the speedtest is finalised, thanks again
Level 23: Superhero

If it's going to take that long to complete the speed test, then it's safe to say your speeds are sub-par.

Don't put yourself through watching it grind along until the wee hours of the morning.

This shows there is some form of congestion likely on your connection, so the next step would be to see if it occurs in another location (can you take the modem to a friends house and try it)?
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Marnz

yes I will try that tomorrow and see if there is any difference, I will try first on my own computer and then a friends.

Marnz wrote:

For how long have you had the BigPond Mobile Broadband service?

Could you please log into My BigPond (with your BigPond service's primary ‹user›@bigpond.com username), then click on View usage on the My services page, and check at the bottom of the bar graph to confirm that there isn't a line of text which begins with, “Your usage was shaped on …”?

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Marnz

Hi Drat,

I have had my broadband service for approx. 8 months now and yes there is a line of text saying my usage was shaped on Friday 18th May which is exactly when I started having problems. What does this mean? My billing period ends on 24th May
Accepted Solution

Marnz wrote:
my usage was shaped on Friday 18th May which is exactly when I started having problems. What does this mean?

It means your BigPond Mobile Broadband connection has been running at 64kbps since some time on 18th May, which is why some web pages fail to load in your browser altogether and others take ages. Changing the MTU size on your computer may make the browsing experience slightly smoother, but still in no way near what you would expect from any broadband connection. Trying to play online games when your connection is shaped (or “usage is slowed”) would only be an exercise in frustration.

Is that what the Usage Meter on the My services page in My BigPond says? If so, did you switch broadband plans (to the 8GB plan) earlier this month?

——

Marnz

Yes the usage meter currently reads at 53% now, I have in no way changed my plan this month so I don't understand why this is happening, I think I might have to make a call to sort this out. Although as I said my billing period ends in 2 days but I want to make sure this never happens again, thanks for your help.
diyana

If you want to increase your internet speed , start disk clean-up utility that will delete those temporary Internet files, empty your recycle bin.

Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup to use the built-in disk clean-up tool.After disk cleanup process,you must check your nternet speed.You can check your internet at   scanmyspeed.com

CSUser381
Level 1: Cadet

Hi there, glad you sorted out your problem. I've been having exactly the same problem with my Telstra 4G mobile connection. Can you outline how you solved it? I clicked on the link "to the solution" but I'm still not clear on exactly what you found out about what is causing the problem.

cheers

-Kaz

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Marnz,

Can I ask if your bill is paid & up to date as the only other reason your account may have been slowed is due to your bill not being paid or a credit management issue?

If this is the case I'd suggest getting in touch with our Live chat team http://tel.st/iWZsx to check in on this for you & once paid your speed will return back to normal within 24 hours of payment

Thanks 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Taicarmel
Level 1: Cadet

I use 4g wireless and NEVER exceed my usage, which I monitor regularly.

My Internet is always slow - usually 2 bars sometimes nil of an afternoon/evening until 11pm.

I have contacted Telstra support and they referred me to an outside provider - at my cost.

Because of where I live (metropolitan Brisbane) I can only get an Internet connection from Telstra.

Any suggestions for improved service?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more