Highlighted
yendor72
Level 1: Cadet

4G LTE USB Modem not being detected

Hi,

I have a Telstra 4G USB (Sierrra 320U) modem which was previously working on my desktop (windows 7).  I have just purchased a new HP laptop (windows 8).  I am unable to download the Connection Manager Software and after checking my computer settings it tells me there is no device connected (so I can't manually install).  Modem is powered up and indicator is blinking green so it has detected a network.

I tested it on my work laptop and there are prompts to download connection manager so I know it is working on other machines.

Are there settings on my laptop I need to adjust so at the very least the device is detected when it's plugged in or do I need to download something for it to be detected?

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 23: Superhero

Re: 4G LTE USB Modem not being detected

Hi there yendor, obviously you are currently acessing the internet on a device. If you go to the following link, and take a read you'll find the software to download and get you up and running there: https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/bigpond-mobile-broadband-connection-manager

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
yendor72

Thanks for your response Jeff.  I have previously viewed this page from Telstra but found that the section 'USB Devices - Windows'  which my device is included under specifically excludes Windows 8 in the System Requirements specifications.  I find it odd that Windows 8 is excluded however I did download the file but was unable to run it.  Even if I do download the Connection Manager successfully if my laptop is not recognising the device when I plug it in would even having the Connection Manager open fix the issue?

Hi Yendor if you can get that package onto the laptop it actually contains the 'Drivers' required for windows to fully recognise the Modem. Same principle when you connect a printer and it installs the drivers so that the system will recognise the printer

Signature.gif.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

OK yendor, take a look at the following link, it has some more up to date software/firmware for the unit and Telstra. See how you go with this lot: http://www.solvusoft.com/en/update/drivers/usb-modem/sierra-wireless/telstra/usb-4g-aircard-320u/mod...

NB: It specifically mentions windows 8...

Signature.gif

320U.jpg

yendor72

Thanks Jeff.  I will give this a try when I get home 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now