Highlighted
OutbackKev
Level 2: Rookie

4G My Pocket Wi-Fi Plus

Answered

I have a ZTE T96 mobile with I connect to a RFI external antenna while travelling the outback.

I am considering purchasing a 4G Pocket WIFI Plus modem, its has two external antenna sockets. My question is why? and what type of antennas are required. Would the RFI  CDQ 2195 I already own be suitable, if so what would the öther antenna need to be?

Thanks

Kevin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: 4G My Pocket Wi-Fi Plus

The 4G modem is a MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) antenna arrangement. It has 2 antennas.  Your current antenna will work fine as long as it is plugged in to the correct socket (the 3G fallback only uses one of the two antenna sockets). As you are travelling inthe outback, you are very unlikely to get a 4G signal in most places and the modem will run on 3G.

If you want to be able to have the modem running full pelt when in a 4G area, just get another CDQ2195 Antenna and mount it on the opposite side of your vehicle and have both antennas plugged in to the modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

The 4G modem is a MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) antenna arrangement. It has 2 antennas.  Your current antenna will work fine as long as it is plugged in to the correct socket (the 3G fallback only uses one of the two antenna sockets). As you are travelling inthe outback, you are very unlikely to get a 4G signal in most places and the modem will run on 3G.

If you want to be able to have the modem running full pelt when in a 4G area, just get another CDQ2195 Antenna and mount it on the opposite side of your vehicle and have both antennas plugged in to the modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
lemoncurry
Level 4: Private Eye

Theres a bit of an explanation here regarding the two antenna sockets, a few do's and dont's,
  MIMO SISO antennas FAQ page

What ever you do dont use a two-into-one patch lead...

Note that the CDQ 2195, although a great brand and a good antenna is still only 6.5dBi on 3G and  only 3dBi on 4G 1800 (see http://rfiwireless.com.au/consumer/products/cellantennas.html)

So youll loose much of that 4G signal in your coax anyway.

none

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now