CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
murrayap
Level 1: Cadet

4G USB Modem compatible Wi-Fi Router

Answered

Are there any wi-fi routers out there that are compatible with the Telstra 4G USB Modem, but that can also handle 10-15 wi-fi users?  The 4G mobile wi-fi device from Telstra can only handle 5 users (per the Telstra website), and their Ultimate Gateway device is only 3G.

This product appears to fit the bill, but can anyone provide confirmation that it is actually going to work with the Telstra 4G USB Modem?

http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-products/4g/3g41wt

Thanks,

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: 4G USB Modem compatible Wi-Fi Router

Hello murrayap,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport Smiley Happy Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics here in our Community.

I understand that you're looking for Telsta 4G USB device compatible router to be able to share your connection via multiple users up to 15.

The Netcomm 3G41WT is indeed compatible as well as the Airlink GX440 Multi-Purpose Intelligent Gateway.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
44 REPLIES 44
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hello murrayap,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport Smiley Happy Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics here in our Community.

I understand that you're looking for Telsta 4G USB device compatible router to be able to share your connection via multiple users up to 15.

The Netcomm 3G41WT is indeed compatible as well as the Airlink GX440 Multi-Purpose Intelligent Gateway.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Guru

Joe

I have a 4G sierra wireless modem and have purchased a netgear MBRN3000 wireless router but cannot get it to work, when the modem is puged into router and ethernet cable is pluged into router and hard drive i cannot access the internet. Is this modem compatable and if so are there any tricks to making it work. any help would be appreciated... Guru

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello Guru,

According to the list of compatible 3G USB device for MBRN3000 router, the 4G device is not listed as compatible.

You may want to contact Netgear Support for further confirmation and assistance with this.

Guru

Joe

Could you let me know of any wireless router that is compatable with the device that i am using (AC320U) as the shop i have purchased the netgear unit from will take it back if it cannot work.... Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Guru,

As I have listed above, the compatible devices for the AC320U are: 

The Netcomm 3G41WT and AirLink GX440 Multi-Purpose Intelligent Gateway.

TyCobb

Hi Joe,

I'm hoping you can provide me with some guidance in addition to your note below.

I've been looking at the Netcomm 3G41WT. It says on their website that it is compatible with the Sierra Wireless 320U for Telstra, but not for Bigpond. I have no idea what the difference is between these two.

I have asked the question of Netcomm but haven't had a response as yet.

I have got the 4G Bigpond kit from yourselves - complete with Sierra Wireless 320U. Can you either:

a) confirm that the 3G41WT is in fact compatible with the Bigpond

OR

b) recommend something that is compatible.

I liked the idea of the 3G41WT because it allows me to also connect hardware via ethernet cable, as well as a wi-fi set up for the house.

Please let me know - any information would be highly appreciated at this point!!

Thanks!

TyCobb

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi TyCobb,

Thanks for your post and I understand you'd like confirmation if the Netcomm 3G41WT is compatible with the BigPond 4G USB device Sierra Wireless 320U.

To confirm there is not much difference between the Telstra and BigPond USB 4G device, except for the branding and different ways of accessing the modem settings.

So the router should be compatible but to be safe, it's better to get your answer directly from Netcomm Support.

Carney

HI I have aTelstra 4g USB pre paid and it is not working with the 3G4W1T Problems connecting When I log in to the router interface it says the Sim is negotiating. I have used. Telstra.internet as the APN Any thing else?  Telstra support no help Netcomm not much better

neddah

HI ,

I have purchased this product with the wirless 4g Broadband ( prepaid) and i cant get it working, its driving me crazy.

i have followed the instructions supllied from netcomm, and nothing works. it asks for a username and password and the telstra guy on the phone says that it doesnt have one because its prepaid. any help would be appreciated.

neddah

im in the same boat, im getting no help from anyone, the frustating thing is that telstra sell this like a combo so it should be up to telstra to trouble shoot it.

Pelly1982

I have also got the same issues as the last 3 guys that posted. Today I just purchased a Telstra Prepaid 4G USB Modem and have set it up on a Netcomm 3G4W1T but no luck with it working.  The routers interface just says it is negotiating...

The modem has a solic green light which would indicate that it is on the 4G network but no luck with the router recognising it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Pelly1982

Spoke to Netcomm and apparently the ZTE MF821 is not compatible!!! (Telstra Prepaid 4G).  NOT HAPPY JAN!  Time to call back the Telstra store who sold me the package and ask for a swap or exchange...

Drizl1

I feel sorry for you guys. You all should have got yourselves a Dovado DOMA 4g wifi router with the $129 ZTE Telstra modem like I did. It costs 98 pound which I thinks around $140. Most of the big brand routers can't even support real 4g speeds, even though they claim they are 4g compatible. I live n Erskineville NSW and get 40mbits down and 20mbits up. Love it. I got the dovodo from here if anyone is interested: http://movingwifi.com/dovado-doma And no, I have no affiliation with the seller or manufacturer in any way, I am a telstra business customer who is very happy with my 4g and thought I should share my setup considering the back luck you dudes seem to have had. Cheers.
asdfghjkl

Anyone discovered a fix to this issue?

Silverwood

Netcomm 3g41WT ROUTER AND SIERRA WIRELESS 320U

We have recently had a 312 modem ( faulty- dropped out every day ) replaced by Telstra with the 4G 320U. The latter does not connect and Netcomm says it is not compatible. This seems to be opposite to the views shown on your forum. How does one get them, to work?

Patanjali
Level 2: Rookie

I don't know how well 3/4G USB hosting routers perform these days, but my experience in the past is that they rob some of the speed.

I was so bad with the Ultimate (40% loss) that we now use a spare laptop to host the 3G then 4G. Even a single core Atom laptop running Win7 Ultimate gives full speed compared to the grossly underpowered USB hosting routers.

Just to be sure that I was getting full speed through the laptop, I also tried it with a quad core i7 920 desktop and found that it gave that same performance. Mind you, we are only getting around 10Mbps up and down in our area (Parramatta), so if you can get better speed in your area, you may need a better computer.

Patanjali

Actually what brought me here was that I was looking for a dedicated 4G router, sort of like the Ultimate Gateway (NetComm), which gave full speed performance.

Given that, I could not understand why the USB hosting routers were so inadequate, especially since a full Win 7 low grunt laptop, with all the usual OS stuff going on in it (ours is running ICS to share the internet), was not fazed by having to deal with the USB modem speed.

Patanjali

NetComm does not list the BigPond  320U as compatible with the 3G41WT, but other 320Us are.

Does the 3G41WT allow the full bandwidth through?

In the past, dongle hosting routers were notorious for robbing bandwidth, especially at higher speeds.

egon

hi joe_telstra,

i hope you are able to provide information for bigpond users ... the netcomm information leads me to believe that their product is only compatible with telstra 4G wireless modems and airlink seems very expoensive ... i have a Bigpond Sierra Wireless AirCard 320U ...  as some time has passed since your post, has any other alternatives surfaced or do you have any other suggestions???

thank you,

egon

jonandemi
Level 6: Bloodhound

The Tiny dovado as someone posted is the only real solution here for the moment. There are a group of us who have been working together for the past 3 months and we have managed to write our own linux firmware for the TP link MR3420 and at the moment i have full 4G speeds using a 320u, i also have done this for the tplink MR703n.

We have a swag of modems that are now compatible and as of tonight i think the guys cracked the ZTE MF821.

However you will have to give up your normal GUI interface that you are used to on the mr3420 and instead you will use LUCI, which i think is actually a better Graphical User interface. Luci is the linux equivalent and can still be accessed from the web-browser.

I have had mine running at 68mbps down and 30mbps up. A lot of the routers which do support both the 320 and mf668 are speed throttled to about 25mbps due to the routers using PPP Chat, what we have done is make them use Direct-IP and this gets around any problems of speed throttling. We have actually made the old 3G router into a 4G router. Pretty clever stuff if you ask me. A collaboration between a Canadian and a few Australians.

Google " Open-WRT" this is what we used. It is an open source firmware program for routers.

Basically you flash new firmware onto the old router and bam you are done. Please get on the forum and ask which is the latest version. I would say in the next couple of days we will have it all sorted.

Wiki we made:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/router_openwrt

Program/firmware website that our canadian friend setup:

http://www.rfactory.org/OpenWRT/

Forums:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2036176

Just dont flash it today, please come on whirlpool forums and ask us there if the firware is 100% ready, i think we are close now but we are refining it and debugging. But i am typing to you from one of the converted routers.

Gonzalis

Hi there,

I have a Question, I am looking for a compatable wireless router that WILL work  with a sierra 'Bigpond' version 4G usb modem as I have no ADSL or Cable connection available and I would like to extend the connection to other devices can you advise please, and where to obtain the router in NSW Aust. Any help would be appreciated.

Gonzalis

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Gonzalis

Using the Bigpond USB 4G device with a wireless router is unfortunately beyond the supported use of the product. If you require a mobile broadband modem to use with multiple devices at once we would suggest using a Bigpond Mobile Wi-Fi 4G.

Having said that, the previous post by jonandemi has some helpful places to start if you are determined to go down this route.

Thanks

cili7

Only because I found this webpage by searching for my particular issue, I thought I'd sign up and let others know.

If you own a 760s Sierra Networks Telstra 4g USB modem, forget about trying to connect to ANY of the devices already listed.

I recently purchased a NetComm NF5 Gigabit router which claimed USB 4g modem support, but its not compatible.

After that headache, I've discovered that there are NO routers out there that support the above Telstra USB modem. The only option you are forced to look at is an overpriced Sierra Wireless Aircard Hub... which is $100 more than it should be, and also only offers 10/100 routing (no gigabit).

Be happy with your 760s folks... because if you want hard wired ethernet, its not happening with this device- trust me.

phild01

I too wish to use a router with a bigpond 320u or 760s.  I am going to get a Dovado device after doing some searching.  Seem to be the best and fastest and compatible.

phild01

Disagree Cili7,  Now have 760s running with a Davodo Pro and no dramas with ethernet.

phild01

Sorry Cili7, just reread your post and can't edit mine.  You did say Telstra 760s and maybe you are right.  I am using Bigpond, which is not the same (despite what many may say).

Denice

I think telstra should sort out their sierra dongle and give everyone a replacement who cant get it to work with their router. Like me!!
Denice

Telstra is really negligent selling a dongle that won't let you use the standard routers. They should offer a replacement to everyone who cannot get their router to work. 

I notice the guy from telstra stopped replying. Must be too busy loving well and laughing much.

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Denice,

More than happy to have your feedback passed on for consideration on future products that are released and possible resolution ideas. We are also improving the service that we provide and have recently released a new Telstra 4G WiFi modem that is capable of allowing up to 10 devices to be connected at the one time. More details on this device can be located at:

http://goo.gl/559Lzg

YarravelHound

Finally connected the 4G USB modem (Sierra 320U) to the TP-Link 3020 router.  The success was due to the downloading of the TP-Link firmware update created in September this year. It changed the router software from 3G to 3G/4G.  The default settings were maintained except for having to manually set the Dial Number and APN.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi YarravelHound,

It's great to hear that you have found a resolution. Hopefully this resolution will help others on this thread.

Gforce10

Come on Telstra, this post has been going for 2 years and you still cant post a page of compatible routers for your products.  How hard can it be?  Or do you expect the user community to do all the testing for you?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Gforce10

As we mentioned, we don't support the use of third party routers for our Mobile Broadband USB devices. 

As a result, we aren't able to provide a list of compatible products for something we don't support

Kate1974

Hi,

I have just purchased the chromecast dongle to stream video content to my tv only to find it does not work with the 4G usb modem and I've just renewed my contract with Telstra so I guess I can't switch to a wi-fi setup. Is there anything else I could do to get chromecast working?

Support Team
Support Team

Heya Kate197,

In order for the Chromecast dongle to work, you do need a Wi-Fi signal, therefore, the only option would be to ensure you have a Wi-Fi enabled modem.

Burtybrus

Tplink tl mr3420 works.
Nick_Danger

There is another way as well (and I just did it a few minutes ago). TP Link wireless access points have a "Client" mode that allows a computer / network connected to it's LAN port to access an existing WiFi network. By setting the TP Link access point to Cliewnt mode and connecting it to the Telstra 4G modem using the SSID and password displayed on the front, you can then use the DHCP on the TP Link access point to hand out addresses with the Default Gateway and DNS settings pointing at the Telstra 4G modem (by default the Telstra 4G modem is at 192.168.1.1).

As the TP Link access points are also at 192.168.1.1 you will need to change its address to 192.168.1.2 before you connect to the Telstra modem, otherwise the addresses will conflict.

Ch33kyMunkee

Now that its 2106,  can anyone answer the orignial queation with any new models of routers.

I too need to use my 4G Telstra USB modem (Sierra Aircard 320U) in a router than can handle more like 12-15 people.

I have called a telstra store. No knowledge.

I have called telstra tech support. No knowledge.

I found a list of compatible Netgear routers, but I can't find how many people they will take before they crap out. The little netcomm routher that I bought in the Telstra shop a few years back with the modem fails with more than 5 users.

Any ideas?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Ch33kyMunkee,

Does the device have to be able to connect to another router via USB? or can the device be a standalone device?

- Matt

Ch33kyMunkee

I would like to be able to connet a long range access point to it for further range. My work team moves location every day and I need long range wifi at each location as we spread out. so the desired setup is....

USB Telstra modem plugs into router.

Long range access point plugs into router via ethernet connection

15 People can log on to network via the access point 

Ch33kyMunkee

access point is 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz compatible
Ch33kyMunkee

doh! that's 2.4Ghz
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The Technicolor TG797 & TG799 as well as the Netgear CG3100 & C6300 provided by BigPond support using the USB Mobile Broadband devices as a back up connection. There are a number of BYO options available that can help with what you are requiring as well.

Most routers these days are capable of handling 100s of WiFi connections, so I don't think that it should be difficult to locate a router able to connect 15 people and their devices.

The following link shows how to set up a BigPond Mobile Broadband service using our ADSL home network gateways.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/set-up/set-up-telstra-or-bigpond-mobile-broadb...

If you have a Telstra Mobile Broadband device, you may need to use these settings instead.

APN: telstra.internet
Username: none
Operator Mode: Leave on Automatic
Password: none
PIN: none (in most cases)

mb12

Have attempted the settings suggested, spent many hours attempting to successfully connect my Telstra Sierra 320u with my TG799vac, with no real success.
Main error appears to be a self assigned IPv4 address, which persists despite restarts and hard resets.
Have set DNS.
Received an error in the log saying devices have 3 regions conflicting, which persists despite enabling location services.
Have attempted bridge mode on both TG799vac and the Airport.
Generally self assigning IPv4. Sometimes has 192.xx address, but the network doesn’t connect.
Job logged with telstra tech support, as yet no answers.....
Any chance this horse is still alive?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now