Highlighted
brent_kebe
Level 1: Cadet

4G USB Modem not being detected

Answered

A cutomer of mine has just got the AirCard320U USB modem, the initial plug in works fine, software installs, drivers install and can connect to the net just fine. Pulling the modem out and back in again works fine as well. Once the laptop has been restarted, the connection manager no longer detects the modem in the computer. Windows device manager does, Sierra USB modem is present. Pulling the modem out and back in again makes no difference, Windows detects it but the connection manager does not.

If I goto Control Panel and uninstall the Telstra software, the re-insert the modem and install it again, everything works perfectly. That is until the laptop is restarted again and the connection manager does not recognise the modem.

Its a HP laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1

Other USB devices work fine, (printer, flash drives). I have gone into msconfig and disabled all third party apps and services, has made no difference.

Any help would greatly be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: 4G USB Modem not being detected

Hey Brent,

You can try using the sierra wireless connection manager --> http://www.sierrawireless.com/en/sitecore/content/Sierra%20Wireless/Support/Downloads/AirCard/USB_Mo...

and this may circumvent this problem. I've seen sometimes with 64bit operating systems the system can have a problem with the drivers detecting properly. bit of a rare circumstance these days but every now and then i see it pop up, see how you go with the sierra watcher - you may need to set up a bigpond profile though if its a bigpond 4g device, otherwise it comes preset with the TMB profile on there.

let me know how you go Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey Brent,

You can try using the sierra wireless connection manager --> http://www.sierrawireless.com/en/sitecore/content/Sierra%20Wireless/Support/Downloads/AirCard/USB_Mo...

and this may circumvent this problem. I've seen sometimes with 64bit operating systems the system can have a problem with the drivers detecting properly. bit of a rare circumstance these days but every now and then i see it pop up, see how you go with the sierra watcher - you may need to set up a bigpond profile though if its a bigpond 4g device, otherwise it comes preset with the TMB profile on there.

let me know how you go Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
jeffr
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: 4G USB Modem not being detected & Telstra USB 4G us busy,please wait

I have the same problem on a Windoes XP laptop. The latop has an internal Sierra WWAN also.  I tried disabling it, but that doesnt overcome the problem. When I retart my PC from cpold boot or from hibernation, I need to uninstall teh telstra software and reinstall it to overcome the errors:

Unable to detect your Next 4G Device 

or

Telstra USB 4G is busy, please wait

UI have installed the Sierra watcher_generic.msi.  The interface propts fo rhte sierra device to use but that doesnt overcoem the issue.  The Sierra watcher also indicates the USB device is busy.

I remove the device expecting it will reset but no-go.  Only after I uninstall & reinstall the Telstra broadband manager can I get the USB device working.

Using Telstra Broadband Manager V3.5.10812

andywhite

Hey Josh,

I'm not sure how you can mark this issue as resolved. I have a customer with exactly the same issue, 15 months after the original post. Do you have any new suggestions as to how to resolve this issue, or should my customer return the 4G modem to a Telstra shop advising that it is not fit for the purpose it was designed for and ask for a new device, or a refund.

Thanks

TheRedBib

I too am having trouble with my 4G modem. It works fine until I connect my camera to the PC and transfer photos.  After that my Internet connection is still there but doesn't work. If I try to disconnect it suys it is busy (forever). If I log out and back in it tells me to reconnect the modem before telling me it is busy. When I try a restart the computing will not shut down because the "Telstra USB 4G is busy, pleae wait ..... " For 10 minutes? The only solution is to pull the plug and do a cold reboot, which is most unsatifactory. Obviously it is something to do with the internal machinations and conflicts so what can I change to stop this?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi TheRedBib,

Welcome to Crowd Support! Smiley Happy

Please contact our mobile tech team on 13 22 00 and they can troubleshoot this for you and get this resolved.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now