CrowdSupport®
panda444
Level 2: Rookie

4G USB modem stopped working after 3 days

Answered

My parents were on the 3G USB modem with no problems. They were called to upgrade to the 4G network and were sent the new device. This device would not register on the network so they were sent a new one.

The second 4G device worked perfectly for 3 days then stopped.

They have been on the phone with support for days and hours, uninstalling and reinstalling Bigpond Connection Manager and have been without internet access for two months now.

Support keep asking for an IMSI number but only the IMEI number is displayed and the IMSI number field is blank.

They are so frustrated they want to go back to the old white 3G modem and after reinstalling this, Activations say the IMEI and IMSI numbers don't match and they were told there is nothing Activations can do.

Laptop is 64bit running Window7.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Haugaard
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: 4G USB modem stopped working after 3 days

Its unlikely this is an activation issue if the device was working for 3 days and then stopped. Windows 7 is notorious for corrupting the mobile drivers, if your can't see signal its likely this is the issue. Try installing this http://www.sierrawireless.com/en/Support/Downloads/AirCard/USB_Modems/~/media/Support_Downloads/AirC...

. Its the manufacturers drivers for the Telstra version of your card. Keep the bigpond connection manager aswell, but this should fix any driver issue.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. My participation here is strictly in a personal capacity.
panda444
Accepted Solution

Thank you Haugaard. You have just confirmed what I thought may be the solution after reading all the forums. Unfortunately without internet access they were unable to download the Sierra drivers.

After much frustration and 24 calls to BigPond support, I have got them to install their old 3G modem and a genious in the Phillipines was polite and knew exactly how to match the IMEI and IMSI numbers, which no one in activations was able to do, and they are now connected, exactly where they started from before all this 4G annoyance and being offline for 2 months.

My parents live in the country anyway so I don't know why they were offered a 4G upgrade in the first place.

I big hero cheer to Rom in the BigPond support center who was able to solve what 24 other team mates could not.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Haugaard
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Its unlikely this is an activation issue if the device was working for 3 days and then stopped. Windows 7 is notorious for corrupting the mobile drivers, if your can't see signal its likely this is the issue. Try installing this http://www.sierrawireless.com/en/Support/Downloads/AirCard/USB_Modems/~/media/Support_Downloads/AirC...

. Its the manufacturers drivers for the Telstra version of your card. Keep the bigpond connection manager aswell, but this should fix any driver issue.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. My participation here is strictly in a personal capacity.
panda444
Accepted Solution

Thank you Haugaard. You have just confirmed what I thought may be the solution after reading all the forums. Unfortunately without internet access they were unable to download the Sierra drivers.

After much frustration and 24 calls to BigPond support, I have got them to install their old 3G modem and a genious in the Phillipines was polite and knew exactly how to match the IMEI and IMSI numbers, which no one in activations was able to do, and they are now connected, exactly where they started from before all this 4G annoyance and being offline for 2 months.

My parents live in the country anyway so I don't know why they were offered a 4G upgrade in the first place.

I big hero cheer to Rom in the BigPond support center who was able to solve what 24 other team mates could not.

bindyblue

I have a 4g wifi modem. When I first bought the modem I was on the 4g network. Now it's saying DC all the time. ATM my phone (vodaphone) works faster. This is really annoying.
Dianne9
Level 1: Cadet

my internet over the last 3 days has been on and off also my telephone line is very crackly

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now