CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
vonjean
Level 4: Private Eye

4G high usage

Answered

With my new 4g WIFI device, Have been alarmed at my high usage. Found a lot of things I did not think about here on crowd support.[thanks!]  eg device keeps looking around for the best signal; this made sence as I am on border of 3g and 4g, it say's 3g on device &  "H" sometimes.

Few days ago I spent a rainy day taking everything off my old desk top which hasn't been used for years ready to give away, copying onto my portable hard drive to put onto my lap top. I was not using anything on line, but thinking about it after I had checked my e-mails first I had left the device on. Figured this is why, I used up more than half of my months allowance that day!! I only realized how much I'd used as had an e-mail warning of usage.

Now I make sure device is turned OFF inbetween my actual usage. Also technician took off auto downloads for me.

Hope this helps some one else save, as last few days hardley any usage has shown.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OccasBigpndUser
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: 4G high usage

Hi vonjean - yes lots of us have had huge data usage using new 4G device even with all precautions taken about not using youtube or streaming and with all auto updates etc OFF. like you we are now paranoid about first disconnecting the device via aircard manager and then switching physical device off when session finished.

We are in a 3G / H signal area - 100s of km from nearest 4G signal so I have also amended signal setting on aircard manager from "Auto All" to "WCDMA only" (3G) to see if data usage stats reduce. First month into it and we appear to have only used 5.5gB rather than 6.7gB previous month - and our on-air time over the period in question was markedly higher as it included xmas new year etc and LOTS of football updates from UK. Will be interested to see how next few months pan out.

Cheers

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
OccasBigpndUser
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Hi vonjean - yes lots of us have had huge data usage using new 4G device even with all precautions taken about not using youtube or streaming and with all auto updates etc OFF. like you we are now paranoid about first disconnecting the device via aircard manager and then switching physical device off when session finished.

We are in a 3G / H signal area - 100s of km from nearest 4G signal so I have also amended signal setting on aircard manager from "Auto All" to "WCDMA only" (3G) to see if data usage stats reduce. First month into it and we appear to have only used 5.5gB rather than 6.7gB previous month - and our on-air time over the period in question was markedly higher as it included xmas new year etc and LOTS of football updates from UK. Will be interested to see how next few months pan out.

Cheers

View solution in original post

vonjean
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi, sorry slow reply, catch up on over grown garden time [yet another hint how to save on device usage, keep off lap top!!] Thanks about hint about WCDMA, will do later, dont know what this is, but very willing to try anything!

Vonjean

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now