Highlighted
KMC2
Level 2: Rookie

4gx wifi modem

Answered

Let me begin by saying I might have chosen the wrong selection board so please bear with me and if necessary refer me to the correct board.

I have a 4gx modem.  It says telstra but it doesnt say telstra hd from what I can see

A little while back I was asked to update my windows 10 on thelaptop. Then after this was done I lost my 4gx network and now have 3g.  I cant use my modem unless it is connected to my laptop and up comes a H which I presume refers to a hotspot.

I am by myself and have no idea what is going on.

Can someone shed some light.  I want to be able to use 4gx wifi modem and not actually have to connect to the laptop every time I sign on.

I want to be able to do what I did before to sign on.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully some users can help shed some light.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: 4gx wifi modem

@KMC2

Great, thank you.
I need to let you know that I've edited your post to remove the IMEI and Sieral Number as these can be used to identify you. The model number was all that was required in this instance Smiley Happy

In relation to your device you'll need to check up on some settings for me.

Firstly though, Please reset your device. 

To do this:

1. Press and release the Power button to cycle through LCD screen.
  2. On the home screen, tap Settings.
  3. Tap More.
  4. Tap Factory Reset.
  5. Tap Yes.
  6. Tap Begin Reset.
  7. Wait for the device to finish resetting itself.

This might correct the issues you have on it's own.
If not, you'll need to check some additional settings for me:

Make sure that your Network Selection is set to Automatic:

1. On the home screen, tap Settings.
  2. Tap Network
  3. Ensure that this is set to "Automatic".

Please let me know how you go with this.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@KMC2

To clarify the issue, are you no longer able to connect to the device using Wi-Fi?

In terms of the networks being displayed on the device, "H" refers to the 3G Network.

In order to provide the best information if you can provide the model number of the device you are using, that would be great.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

KMC2

Thank you for replying.  I can confirm I can use my wifi but it comes up with the 3g then H network.  I have to connect the

modem to the laptop that I have used for a few years now to be able to use the internet.  I have tried not having the wifi modem not connected to the laptop but I have given up that as it doesnt work

On the front it says 4gx  then wifi TPPW4G -6F8A-5G THEN IT HAS A PWD NO.  

I have no idea how to work out what the model no is.

Is this enough information?

Kind regards

KMC2

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@KMC2
Unfortunately, no. The details on the screen relate to your Wi-Fi Network Name and the password for that network. These details aren't tracked by us and can be changed.

Out of interest, If you remove the back cover of the device and take out the battery, the Model Number should be on a sticker under the battery.

KMC2

Thank you for the information about where to locate the model so here goes:-

Netgear  Model Air Card AC810S

Kind regards

KMC2

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@KMC2

Great, thank you.
I need to let you know that I've edited your post to remove the IMEI and Sieral Number as these can be used to identify you. The model number was all that was required in this instance Smiley Happy

In relation to your device you'll need to check up on some settings for me.

Firstly though, Please reset your device. 

To do this:

1. Press and release the Power button to cycle through LCD screen.
  2. On the home screen, tap Settings.
  3. Tap More.
  4. Tap Factory Reset.
  5. Tap Yes.
  6. Tap Begin Reset.
  7. Wait for the device to finish resetting itself.

This might correct the issues you have on it's own.
If not, you'll need to check some additional settings for me:

Make sure that your Network Selection is set to Automatic:

1. On the home screen, tap Settings.
  2. Tap Network
  3. Ensure that this is set to "Automatic".

Please let me know how you go with this.

KMC2

I need to do something for 3 to 4 hours so will attempt then.

I do thank you for the instructions.

Kind regards

KMC2

KMC2

Hello again,

I have taken a breath and followed 1 to 7 of your instructions.

To my amazement I can report I can now see 4g and can email and look up web pages.

I am so pleased that you assisted me.

Can I ask another question which is part of the problem.  When I lost 4g I could no longer access what is called the  ATO 

Business Portal for BAS returns.  I have what is called an auskey and when I had 4 g I could easily access the portal.

When 3g appeared it was no go as far as entry to the portal.  I want to have a go and see what happens.  If I cannot again get into the portal whp should I turn to,

Finally I used to be able to print from my printer via wifi but since I got 3g this has not happened.  I would like to try both of these tomorrow morning so can I come back to you and report what happened.

I hope you know what I mean by the ATO business portal.  Remember I have no idea where you are located in OZ or overseas.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Kind regards

KMC2

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@KMC2

Access to the ATO Business Portal might have been timing out if your data speeds on 3G weren't the best. Actual speeds will vary from location to location and can be affected by a number of factors.

Let me know how you go in terms of printing via the Wi-Fi, gropping to 3G should not have affected your ability to print,

In saying that, if a reset of the device was required to get you back to 4G, there may have been another issue affecting this function for you.

KMC2

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Once I reset the settings following your instructions I found myself getting access to the business portal.

I was so pleased about that so decided to try and print using the printer which accesses the laptop via wifi

Guess what it too worked so I was just over the moon.

I have saved your instructions about how to reset and truly it was easy once I decided to give it a go.

Fingers crossed I can go back to doing my bits and pieces with the computer.

Kind regards

KMC2

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more