Highlighted
binkagal
Level 2: Rookie

Alternate Tower to use? Moombooldool NSW

Answered

Hi everyone - noob to CrowdSupport so please be gentle!

My current setup:

Modem/Router:  AirCard 760S - Docked in Sierra Wireless AirCard Hub

Antenna:  21dBi Yagi - roof/mast mount (approximately 5m from ground level).  Connected with low loss cable

Tower aligned to:  Mt Bingar - approximately 50km away (as per advice from Telstra when I initially moved here)

Signal strength:  100% (RSCP -68dBm; Ec/No 2dB).  Does not vary much from these values.  NOTE:  Constantly switches between DC and 3G

Despite the great signal strength, throughput is dismal.  Over the past week, the best result I have had (at 2.30am in the morning) was:

Down = 1.66Mb/s

Up = 1.01Mb/s

Latency = 76ms

The average result during the day is:

Down = 0.15Mb/s

Up = 0.51Mb/s

Latency = 73ms

(Note:  not a mistake - upload speed significantly higher than download speed)

I'm fairly sure the above situation/results spell out that my speed issue is most likely a congestion issue.  If I take my hotspot and laptop into town (Barellan) where they have a transmitter on the silos, I get a wonderful, speedy connection of 5+Mb/s during the middle of the day!  I can only assume this particular transmitter is low powered as signal does not extend out to where I am, 11km away. Smiley Sad

My question is, does anyone know if there is another tower I can try and connect to that may be less congested?  

• I already know Barellan doesn't transmit out this far (basically covers township only).
  • I know there is a location on Square Head (maybe 20km south of me) but I don't know if it is Telstra NextG nor how far it transmits
  • I think there is a tower the other side (east) of Ardlethan (approx 20km east of me).  Again, no idea on what/how far.
  • I assume there is a tower in Leeton (approx 35km south west of me)
  • Ditto for Narrandera (approx 45km south of me)

Does anyone have any information for my area, or do I just need to climb up and play with the yagi?

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Alternate Tower to use? Moombooldool NSW

Hi Binkagal,

I will send you a private message shortly with more detail regarding how you can find out more information regarding your local towers, as there may now be newer towers able to provide a better service for you.

In the interim, you can configure your modem to only connect to 3G with the following steps:

- Open a web browser to http://10.0.0.138
- Login with the password of 'admin'
- Click on Disconnect
- Click on the top option from the left hand menu, next the bars of signal
- Change Network Technology to WCDMA 850

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
binkagal

Anyone? Smiley Sad I'm not feeling the love here!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Binkagal,

I will send you a private message shortly with more detail regarding how you can find out more information regarding your local towers, as there may now be newer towers able to provide a better service for you.

In the interim, you can configure your modem to only connect to 3G with the following steps:

- Open a web browser to http://10.0.0.138
- Login with the password of 'admin'
- Click on Disconnect
- Click on the top option from the left hand menu, next the bars of signal
- Change Network Technology to WCDMA 850

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

binkagal

Thank you so much for your reply Shelly!

I confirm that I already have already configured my modem as you outlined. :-)  I shall check my messages now.

Many thanks!

lemon
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi Binkagal, Cant help but chime in here,

For the record, theres no such thing as a 21dBi Yagi Antenna. Its mathematically impossible to design a Yagi antenna, for 860MHz centre frequency, covering the wide band required for the Next G 850MHz band with that level of gain. 16dBi is the maximum. Interesting reading here: www.onwireless.com.au

A true 21dBi 860MHz Yagi would be about 15m long and have a bandpass so peaky that the gain at each side of the bandwidth around 830MHz and 885MHz would be no more than about 9-11dBi. The manufacturers and sellers of that antenna are lying about the performance of their product. Ive even seen Telstra Shops selling them!

But they do work, and in your case you are getting good signal strength but you'd be better off with a longer Yagi with a true rating of about 16dBi. Ive had first hand experience with these overrated antennas and have replaced mine with one of these: 16dBi 850MHz 3G nextG HSPA+ Yagi Antenna

Its also a good idea to use low loss cable like LMR400.

Also, the higher gain 16dBi yagi will be more directional, giving the ability to aim it more accurately at the tower you want to connect to.

Hope that my info helps others from being ripped-ff by these unscrupulous sellers.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now