2wander-yonder
Level 2: Rookie

Bonus Credit

Hi,
I have been receiving a bonus each month when I recharge my phone but all it seems to do is use it up before my cap. The text says "Congrats! You've received a $50 bonus Cap Credit to use when calling/texting stnd Aus & Int no's or accessing data from within Aus over the next 30 days."

So, as I use my phone for Internet how do I use the bonus for data BEFORE my cap data is used or how do I top up my cap data using this bonus so that I have more data to enjoy?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Bonus Credit

Hi 2wander-yonder, this bonus credit may be part of our Thanks program (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/rewards/index.htm) - this credit can't be used towards the purchase or additional data packs because it's added as a bonus amount rather than to the primary usage allowance. My understanding is that if the credit is applied as a dollar amount rather than being an offer of a certain amount of data then your included cap allowance needs to be used first before the additional credit is touched.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

2wander-yonder

Hi Greg. Well if that is the case I feel it is misleading for the text to mention that it can be used for "accessing data" over the next 30 days because it clearly cannot.

Additionally, if it was, how do I know which data is being used - it or my cap allowance? This does not show up anywhere on the Telstra 24/7 phone app.

Regards,

Andrew
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Andrew,

You are right, that doesn't sound right. Let me follow this up for you to confirm exactly how it works and I will get back to you

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

2wander-yonder

Thanks Ashley.
Support Team
Support Team

I am just chasing this up for you now. Could you please send me a PM with your mobile service number?

We just need to check this out in more detail.

2wander-yonder

Hi Jesse,

Any news on this?
Also, since we started this enquiry my phone no longer shows the bonus cap on the Telstra App and my other phone has lost some of the cap credit on the calls and the Telstra app does not reflect the use.
Support Team
Support Team

I have been investigating and I have confirmed that Greg is correct in saying that you will need to use your recharge credit before the bonus. This does include all plus packs and it would be charged at PAYG rates.

In saying that, I appreciate the feedback about the SMS and I can see that this could be clearer. I have passed on all the details to update the communication for all our customer and to avoid future confusion.

Regarding the App, has this displayed previously and stopped? 

Highlighted
2wander-yonder

Hi Jesse.
Thanks for the reply.
So I have to use all of my cap voice/text/data and the the bonus kicks in. That's fine but how do I know when the bonus runs out? Will it show up in the app because if it doesn't and I don't regulate it I could go over and then have a rude shock coming.

To be honest the thanks bonus seems useless to me as it is not usable the way "I" want nor can "I" manage this "gift" I think I will just opt out and stay with what I can manage.

I must say that I have been with Telstra in one way or another for over 35 years and I am disappointed with the products on offer at the moment especially mobile data.

I travel Australia (continually) working (when I get it) and as such need my phone for all my communications and Internet so the piddly amounts I get are very limiting so when the bonus said I could use it for data I wanted to use it for that but...

As for the bonus being on the app, yes, it always came on after I received the text and recharged (on both phones).
2wander-yonder

Jesse I forgot to say that you cannot use all the cap allowance first because even with cap left the bonus amount reduced.
Support Team
Support Team

I will pass on the feedback about the app to see if this can be updated for you, however I can't offer any guarantees.

If I get an update on this I will pass it on for you.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your patience while we follow up what is going on. It has been confirmed that your bonus will be used before your main recharge credit and will be used at the PAYG rates for data until it is used. The bonus should also be shown in the Telstra 24x7 App.

2wander-yonder

Thanks Ashley. It's not showing up on the app
Now but I will check and monitor it next recharge.

It's not showing on my other number (0427122946) from the last recharge either but I'll check after its recharge.

Thanks again.
Support Team
Support Team

You're welcome Smiley Happy Keep us posted with how it goes and more than happy to chase up if needed.

2wander-yonder

Hi Jessee,

I am due to recharge but no offer of a bonus yet so I will not be able to tell you if the above works or has changed. Interestingly there was no offer on my other phone when it was due either.
2wander-yonder

JesseS/Ashley
Seems this has gone dead as nobody has replied to me asking about the bonus credit and I have not received an invitation to recharge and get a bonus.

So, two questions.
1. Is the bonus credit still operating, and
2. Why, since I have raised this have I not been given another invitation to a bonus when recharging?

It just seems very strange to me that I complain about something and all of a sudden everything changes. As a Telstra shareholder and customer of over 30 years I am "MOST DISAPPOINTED".

Regards,

Andrew
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Andrew,

The promotion is still ongoing and we have not taken any action to stop you receiving the texts offering the bonus. The messages aren't sent to everyone all the time 

2wander-yonder

Thanks for the reply Ashley. It makes it a bit hard to give you feedback (your reply 12 August) if it is not there to assess.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now