CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Can I connect a D Link wireless bridge to a Telstra 4G mobile modem

We are currently without an ADSL broadband connection and have been provided with a 4G mobile broadband service by Telstra in the meantime. Am I able to connect a D Link dap-1155 access point/wireless bridge to the network in bridge mode so I can access the internet for my TV & DVR by way of ethernet cable to the bridge? I know the bridge will work with ADSL but unsure of its success with 3G/4G?

Any help appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Can I connect a D Link wireless bridge to a Telstra 4G mobile modem

Hi There,

So if I'm understanding your question correctly, you have an Internet enabled TV&DVR that you're looking to be served by the 4G card until your ADSL is up and running?

Did you get a Telstra gateway (TG797) by any chance? If so - and your 4G card is USB, you can plug the 4G modem into the rear USB port of the Telstra Gateway and it will configure itself to serve up 4G, as if it would for ADSL (and either bridge your existing router, or plug in your other devices by Ethernet/WiFi)

Hope this helps!
Highlighted

Hi Shamwich,

no I didnt get the Telstra gateway modem with the USB. I have a standard mobile modem and I want to connect it wirelessly to the bridge which in turn is connected to my TV & DVR via ethernet cables.

Thanks

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey csdmac,

I think Shamwich was wanting to confirm if the ADSL modem that you are using is one of the Technicolor modems provided by BigPond. that have the capability of using a 4G USB device as a backup service. This would then allow your WiFi functionality within your premises to remain unchanged, and without purchasing any additional equipment.

That being said, a WiFi bridge picks up the signal from another WiFi router to provide internet access to one or more devices attached to the bridge via LAN cable.

If you are needing a router capable of interfacing directly with the 4G USB device (because your current ADSL modem doesn't have the capability), then what you are after is a 3G/4G Wireless Router. Most brands will have a stand alone router with this this capability, but also at least one ADSL/Cable modem that offers this feature for a 3G/4G backup.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Shelly,

This is the device I'm using and I want to know if it is able to connect to the D Link wireless bridge that I have. I have tried to make it connect but so far this has been unsuccessful. I have connected the bridge to a landline ADSL router modem at my previous home, but as I'm still waiting for an ADSL connection at my new address, I am currently using this device.

broadband-banner-personal-portable-wifi.png

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for clearing that up csdmac, clearly I assumed (incorrectly) that you had a 4G USB.

Looking at the datasheet for the D-Link DAP-1155 it should be capable of connecting to the 4G WiFi so long as the encryption keys and security type match on both devices.

Are you just using the WPS function or have you accessed the D-Links interface to manually configure?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Thanks Shelley,

I have used the WPS keys and also tried to manually configure through the interface. Both have said the connection was successfully made but I cant get any connectivity through the TV & DVR connected to the bridge.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It may be a little obvious, but have you tried completely powering off all of the devices, including the 4G WiFi (by holding in the power button for about 5 seconds)? 

Also, are you able to get dataflow if you connect a laptop to the bridge or via WiFi?

Highlighted

I have had a laptop connected by ethernet to the bridge after I was told a connection had been established but was unable to get a dataflow onto the laptop. I will try again tonight and power down the devices after connection and see what happens.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit