CrowdSupport®
Lou425
Level 1: Cadet

Can I connect a home phone via my Telstra Nighthawk M2 mobile broadband modem

Our subdivision does not have Telstra NBN optic fibre or cable, as a long term Telstra customer I have a Telstra Nighthawk M2 mobile modem connected to my home computer, can this modem provide me with a home phone service, like the NBN does?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Can I connect a home phone via my Telstra Nighthawk M2 mobile broadband modem

You can’t have a Telstra consumer home service using the nighthawk but you should be able to have VOIP service from a VOIP provider such as MyNetFone. You just need to connect a VOIP or SIP phone to the nighthawk. There are also free VOIP apps that you can install on a smart phone that will enable you to make and receive calls

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Can I connect a home phone via my Telstra Nighthawk M2 mobile broadband modem

Hi @Lou425,

As cf4 has advised, it's not possible to have a home phone service via a Mobile Broadband service, it's only possible via NBN. The Smart Modem Gen 2 does provide backup over 4G however this is specific to the NBN and a fixed-line service. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit