CrowdSupport®
TuffD
Level 1: Cadet

Can't send Gmail - SMTP error

Just moved today to Telstra Wireless Internet, previously on Optus Wireless internet. Outlook client worked fine, now on Telstra can receive emails but not send. Tried

• Gmail SMTP port (TLS): 587.
  • Gmail SMTP port (SSL): 465.
  • Gmail SMTP port 25

None will let me send emails. Don't know what port Telstra is blocking??

Gmail account using Outlook client for Windows.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Can't send Gmail - SMTP error

Telstra and most ISPs blocks port 25 to other than there own mail servers. The other ports should work Okay.

There could be a problem with outlook and Gmail. Gmail used to work via outlook on my PC but no longer works. It still works using windows  mail on the same PC.

Level 22: Superhuman

Gmail considers many versions of Outlook as not secure. You can override this in Gmail by opening on webmail and going into secitity settings. It still every now and then reminds that its not secure.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles you to be an expert at everything !!"
Highlighted

I have already overridden security settings to use less secure apps and still doesn't work. Google considers everything except its own apps as less secure.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now