CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
gregoryopera
Level 12: Master Detective

Clarifications Regarding Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband and the Telstra Pre-Paid Wi-Fi 4G Modem

Answered

At the end of this year my family and I will be moved from Victoria to the Northern Territory with work and one thing I am considering for the long trip, is installing a wireless broadband modem in the car, so that we can have access for (most of) the long trip...

It would be the "Telstra Pre-Paid Wi-Fi 4G" I'd get.

My concern however, is what happens after this trip - I'll certainly use this wireless broadband modem again, though it could be up to a year between (credit) "recharges" (longer if I get deployed with work, which at my new posting is extremely likely).

Now it's been a long time since I worked at Telstra (nearly five years!), but if memory serves me correctly, the BigPond-branded, wireless broadband modems had to use the SIM that came with them - so if the pre-paid service expired, a whole new modem would need to be purchased - but this was not the case with the Telstra-branded, wireless modems, which would simply need a new SIM (any new SIM) if the pre-paid service expired.

Can anyone confirm whether I would need a whole new modem if the pre-paid, wireless broadband expired, or just a new SIM?

And now for my second question, which perhaps is a little easier...

How does one recharge the battery of the Telstra Pre-Paid Wi-Fi 4G? Does it just use a mini USB cable for charging, as with most wireless broadband modems?

Thanks!

NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Clarifications Regarding Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband and the Telstra Pre-Paid Wi-Fi 4G Modem

You can certainly purchase a new Telstra prepaid SIM card and 'wack it in' the device if your old one is cancelled/expired due to non-use.

Correct, you charge via the Mini-USB/USB cable. The other good thing about this modem is that you can 'tether' it as well if needed.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Clarifications Regarding Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband and the Telstra Pre-Paid Wi-Fi 4G Modem

gregoryopera wrote:

but this was not the case with the Telstra-branded, wireless modems, which would simply need a new SIM (any new SIM) if the pre-paid service expired.

The Telstra Pre-Paid Wi-Fi 4G (aka ZTE MF91) devices are locked to the Telstra network, so I wouldn't go so far as to say any new SIM will work in one. However, I know that a SIM for a post-paid Telstra mobile service can be used with the unit, and it goes to reason that a (full-sized) SIM for any activated Telstra mobile service will work as well.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

You can certainly purchase a new Telstra prepaid SIM card and 'wack it in' the device if your old one is cancelled/expired due to non-use.

Correct, you charge via the Mini-USB/USB cable. The other good thing about this modem is that you can 'tether' it as well if needed.

If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
gregoryopera

Thanks!
NEVER post personal or sensitive information in these forums (or ANY forums, for that matter!), not even in response to Telstra staff - this includes (among other things) telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, PINs or passwords, serial numbers, names, account numbers, addresses or birthdates.

If in doubt, don't post the information OR ask the Telstra staff if you should post the information - BEFORE you post the information.
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

gregoryopera wrote:

but this was not the case with the Telstra-branded, wireless modems, which would simply need a new SIM (any new SIM) if the pre-paid service expired.

The Telstra Pre-Paid Wi-Fi 4G (aka ZTE MF91) devices are locked to the Telstra network, so I wouldn't go so far as to say any new SIM will work in one. However, I know that a SIM for a post-paid Telstra mobile service can be used with the unit, and it goes to reason that a (full-sized) SIM for any activated Telstra mobile service will work as well.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
gregoryopera

Well In was referring to any Telstra SIM (of a compatible size of course!), though I suppose those looking to join Telstra or those new to Telstra might not have realized this...

Good call.

Yeah which is why I put "any Telstra prepaid SIM card" in my post. Smiley Happy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now