CrowdSupport®
Asad007
Level 1: Cadet

Coverage Issues in Wellard

I switched from Vodafone to Telstra hoping to have a better reception.But it is hopeless in Wellard. I am surprised even after receiving so many complaints since last few years Telstra has not done anything about it. Charging the top dollar and not getting a service is annoying. I won't be paying anymore unless i get a better network that does not drop down after every min on a call.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
StrayaM8
Level 9: Captain

Re: Coverage Issues in Wellard

If vodafone was just as bad or worse, your best bet is to try Optus. 

While yes, Telstra does have a large, faster network, there are a few areas where Vodafone or Optus may actually have superior coverage. 

No point dragging yourself into an argument with Telstra where the result will most likely be that nothing changes.

Asad007
Level 1: Cadet

I am in a contract for another year. Cant just keep on paying them for such a terrible service. I pay about 139$ a month.
I will get the contract void. Will probably call the FWO.

Level 25: The Singularity

Why would you call the Fair Work Ombusdman? I think you mean the Telecommunications Ombudsman (TIO).

As far as coverage goes, in your area, if Telstra and Vodafone aren't giving you good coverage, then Optus probably isn't going to be much better as they all use the same towers.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
StrayaM8
Level 9: Captain

Sorry to derail this thread, my understanding was that Telstra, Optus and Vodafone all operated with different towers?

I know that they are the three mobile networks and that other companies 'piggyback' off of a portion of their network on a wholesale basis.

If they all operate on the same towers, who pays for the construction/maintenance?

Mkrtich
Level 13: Super Sleuth

@Asad007  - I notice your post is listed under Mobile Broadband - is coverage an issue for you on your smart phone, Mobile Broadband Device or Modem? In case it gives you an insight into possibilities, enter your Post Code into this map and it will show you all the cell towers in your area and what frequency that are using so you can compare that to what your equipment is currently using.

Generally lower frequency bands give stronger signal however there may be a local cell capacity issue or other reason for unexpected performance.

https://www.rfnsa.com.au/?first=1

In a lot of cases, the companies share the tower and install their own transmitters in it. In the case of Wellard, there are towers with 2 or 3 sets of transmitters. 

One company will own the tower and the others lease space on it. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 22: Superhuman

Axicom trading as Crown Castle Australia fully own and manage cell sites and maintain separate equipment for both Optus and Vodafone respectively. At tower situations, Optus and Vodafone very regularly share access via Axicom/Crown Castle.Telstra own and operate most of their base stations...but...will occasionally only rent tower access from Axicom Crown Castle.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
jhwiz
Level 5: Eagle Eye

*Axicom now, no longer affiliates of Crown Castle.

Level 22: Superhuman

Axicom own Crown Castle. 

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now