CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Cycling through IP addresses when connecting

Hi.  Lately whenever I hit the 'connect' button I'm being cycled through eight or ten IP addresses (starting 169.xxx.xxx), each address lasting less than half a second, before the thing maybe settles down with a firm IP address (starting 10.xxx.xxx).  Every second or third login it won't settle on an IP address at all, the IP address details remain blank, a connection isn't made, and I have to pull the modem out of the USB port, reinsert and do it all again.

Any ideas what's going on there?

It's a 4G, non-wireless modem and I prepay for the service using the 12gig, 365 day option.  The modem runs on an old HP PC operating through Windows Vista.  I've used the same prepaid plan, modem, PC and operating system now for about nine months without problem.  This has been going on now for at least a couple of weeks.  I've tried searching based on "cycling IP addresses" and a bunch of others, but can't find a similar problem, let alone a solution.

Thanks for your time.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Cycling through IP addresses when connecting

Hi gs31

IP addresses that start with 169. mean it is a private network created by your computer.  The computer is assigning itself this IP address whenever it can not obtain IP address from modem/router or it is being blocked somehow.

I would recommend checking for any security programs you have and make sure it is set to allow the Telstra connection manager,  (you can also temporarily disable to confirm if the issue is with your security program)

If this fails you can also try to reinstall the Telstra connection manager software encase there is a problem with the connection manager communicating with the device.

- Steve J

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit