Highlighted
filthyp
Level 1: Cadet

Dongle Requirements

Answered

I currently have a Huawei 3G dongle model E1762 supplied by my previous mobile broadband provider who uses the Optus network.  This dongle enabled access to EDGE, HSPA and WCDMA quite happily from my current inner city location.  I am currently changing over to Telstra broadband and have installed their supplied sim into ths dongle.  I can only access the Telstra network via EDGE from the same location.  I suspect that a Firmware issue may be afoot!!!!!  Do I need a Telstra provided dongle?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Dongle Requirements

I would strongly suggest Yes you should use a Telstra approved dongle.

That dongle has specific Optus frequencies attached to it and from what I have been able to find, just the one Telstra frequency which would restrict the amount of coverage you would be able to have. IE, might get metro coverage, but no reliable regional or outer suburb coverage.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

I would strongly suggest Yes you should use a Telstra approved dongle.

That dongle has specific Optus frequencies attached to it and from what I have been able to find, just the one Telstra frequency which would restrict the amount of coverage you would be able to have. IE, might get metro coverage, but no reliable regional or outer suburb coverage.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
filthyp
Level 1: Cadet

Had an inkling that would be the solution.  Your reply confimed it. Ta muchly.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more