mallinss
Level 6: Bloodhound

Excess Data Usage - 4GX / Netgear LB2120 Modem

I'm hoping someone can provide advice here... I have an issue (reported it to Telstra already) using a NetGear LB2120 4G modem in bridge mode... with nothing connected, it uses a set amount of data (117MB) every 4 minutes or so, almost to the second... I have read on a Netgear forum that this is an issue and no resolution... see link.. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/excessive-data-download-download-wit... I've been into the Telstra store and spoke to the tech guys as well as the commercial people, they advise that this model modem (LB2120) is a sTelstra supported version, yet this issue exists.... Seems odd that its not known, but others are experiencing this, based upon the link above... Any ideas or comments would be grateful. Steve

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Excess Data Usage - 4GX / Netgear LB2120 Modem

Hi mallinss, 

Thanks for using crowd support. It would be best to change your WiFi password and reset your modem. Then test if this continues without any other devices connected. The usage that is being recorded is normally due to something being connected and using the data and not an error. By changing your WiFi password and resetting your modem, this will ensure nothing else is using the connection. You will then be able to see if the data is still showing the same amount used per 4min. 

Let us know if this fixes the issue. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
mallinss
Level 6: Bloodhound

Re: Excess Data Usage - 4GX / Netgear LB2120 Modem

HI lain_T

There is no WIFI, the modem is in bridge mode, or services in this device are disabled based upon the bridge function....there are no devices connected to this during the tests, as the LAN / WAN ports are not connected to my internal devices....

This seems to be a known issue with this device and Telstra Mobile Broadband service.... this behaviour does not occur when I was using Optus and the only difference between the configs is the SIM and the APN....

Steve

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now