CrowdSupport®
atlbtsa
Level 1: Cadet

Excessive data being charged on modem not turned on

Hi All

I have a Telstra 4gx modem that we have recently purchased.  We have 30gb data for this device and this data contributes towards a mobile group data total of 180Gb.  Our new billing period commenced on the 07/08/19.  I received an email at 4.30am this morning (09/08/19) saying we had used more than 50% of our 30Gb data since the new billing period.

1. As we experienced a similar thing last month, I keep the device turned off and it has not been turned on.

2. The data report does not show any data being used from the 07/08/19.

3. I believe we couldn't use this much data in that short period of time. We use an optus device 4g for our home with all our devices attached to it and haven't used the Telstra device.

4. Online chat was no help and pretty much indicated that I am wrong or lying. 

Is there anyone at Telstra that can explain to me what is happening?  Is someone piggy backing my sim or something?  What can i do to stop this? Totally frustrated with this and the lack of assistance with this.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Excessive data being charged on modem not turned on

Lodge a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

That way you will be dealing with a single point of contact who can investigate the issue for you. Especially as you have already had dealings with the correct support channels and the issue is still recurring.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
atlbtsa

Thank you - I will

atlb

Hi All

Just an update.  For our new billing period I have not turned the modem on, it is not plugged in.  Check data usage report and shows 23.51GB used on this service.  Data usage report shows zero usage. 

I have contacted complaints and awaiting their response.  It has a taken a lot of effort and time to try and get this sorted.  Beware of Telstra charging you for data that you havent used.  I have checked the forum regarding this issue and so many people are complaining about it. Telstra needs to be more accountable.

Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@atlb wrote:

Hi All

Just an update.  For our new billing period I have not turned the modem on, it is not plugged in.  Check data usage report and shows 23.51GB used on this service.  Data usage report shows zero usage. 

I have contacted complaints and awaiting their response.  It has a taken a lot of effort and time to try and get this sorted.  Beware of Telstra charging you for data that you havent used.  I have checked the forum regarding this issue and so many people are complaining about it. Telstra needs to be more accountable.

@atlb @atlbtsa Not sure which account you are using?

Pop back and let us know when you get this solved. I'm interested to know what the cause of it was?

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now