We have a repaid wifi modem connected to a PC, ipad, phone (sometimes). A Telstra shop employee has checked the modem security settings and I have recently changed the admin and security key passwords. I can not find any unauthorised users on my m.home account. There are 2 users (70 year oldies), who do a bit of surfing, some facebook, check mail and occaisional you tube session (one or two clips).We dont download movies or tv shows
10 months ago we moved house to where there are no landline connections available (Bribie Island). Prior to the move we had a landline ADSL plan of 1gig per month and never went over the 1 gig. Since going on to prepaid we have stopped downloading iview shows so our usage has been reduced.
Our usage pattern shows a spike every few days of around 1 gig which I am at a loss to explain.
I have done a PC system scan with Bitdefender anti virus and a scan with Malwarebytes, they both identified and removed threats, however the problem continues. I have read posts suggesting Windows upgrades are using extraordinary amounts of data, but we have been updating our Win7 for a couple of years before this problem and have not had any spikes, have Window updates changed usage?
So before I go broke, or insane can anyone suggest a solution?
Be much appreciated.
Was this helpful?
Hi there kntelstra.
I've noted there that you are using windows 7 and your comments question about Microsoft updates.
Over the past 2 months Microsoft have been offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 and to facilitate the upgrade have been sending to qualifying systems, which yours would be, upgrade files that could be sending up your data usage.
Have you received any emails from Microsoft about this, do you have at the bottom right of screen on your task bar a little windows logo that has shown up?
If that logo is there and you don't wish to proceed with an upgrade and want to stop files from being sent to your PC, which MIGHT, be the culprit, click on the logo and select cancel.
Thanks Jeff, I couldnt find a cancel button but found how to cancel by removing an update (cant remember the number and lost reference to it during the reboot).
I did notice that there were a lot of updates for Win10 that had the notification "failed" next o them in the updates installed section of Windows update for my computer.
So there is no Win10 icon at the bottom.
Thanks for your help, I'll give you the tick if it proves to be the solution.
No worries Bill, I think I might have nailed it there from what you've now told me.
When this keeps trying to download it's actually downloading to a point before failing, what you have to do is either you or someone who may be a bit PC savvy, stop it from just continually continuing along it's merry way or you'll keep getting these usage spikes.
The following link has a comprehensive step step instruction sheet on how to stop this from being an ongoing situation, especially as you haven't got that easy to use logo at the bottom of the screen.
If you don't feel comfortable handling this, I'm sure you might know a user nearby who could for you.
By the way you aren't alone,i lots of people have been caught out by this.
That was a good link. I have deleted the files in question and hid the update and so far it has not appeared. I am having a real good look at the usage rates and they are looking better.
You are a champion.
That's good to hear KN, hopefully others that read this will find it's a solution for them in a simlar situation. Thanks for letting us know.