CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
zzcranjo
Level 2: Rookie

Faulty 4g modem

Answered

I am on a 24 month contract on the 15gb mobile broadband plan(bigpond), and the 4g wifi modem that I got with the plan has had many issues. First off, within a minute or so of turning it on for the first time and doing some light browsing with one computer connected via usb, the modem got extremely hot, enough to be uncomfortable to touch or hold.

A few days later, the plastic cover that holds the lcd screen in its socket/indentation popped up on the top side, kind of like a car bonnet. When I pushed the cover back into place (carefully), I noticed that the modem had gotten so hot that the adhesive holding the cover in place had almost no "stickiness", which is what allowed the cover to pop out of place I guess. This has happened many many times since, so maybe there is an electrical fault/inefficieny and the router is drawing more power so it can operate, with the side effect of more heat?

The modem also randomly reboots sometimes(as in a power cycle, I get 100% signal, so that isn't an issue), and while it turns back on and reconnects after 30 seconds or so, sometimes it reboots like this every 20 minutes, making downloading larger files impossible. 2 days ago I was trying to download a game that was 1.9GB, and I never got more than 400MB downloaded. 

More recently, I heard a pop and an acrid smell, and upon inspection the battery had partially burst, I could clearly see the Lithium-ion cells, and what I assume was some kind of nasty substance spread out in the air of my room, and made for unpleasant breathing. The router it was plugged into (through a usb port on the router, the router has/had the ability to act as a host for a usb broadband stick and then repeat it  through its on wifi) now no longer works, and just reboots constantly. 

I spoke to a staff member at a local telstra store, and she directed me to request a recovery kit, in which a replacement device would be sent to me and I would send my current faulty device back in the packaging I removed the new one from. However I can't find how to request this anywhere, so I am posting here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Faulty 4g modem

Hi,

That certainly isn't a good experience to hear about. We can do what we can from our end here for you to follow this up. I'll send you a private message with a form to complete to obtain some of your details.

Once we review the form we'll be in touch to follow up.

-Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi,

That certainly isn't a good experience to hear about. We can do what we can from our end here for you to follow this up. I'll send you a private message with a form to complete to obtain some of your details.

Once we review the form we'll be in touch to follow up.

-Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

pnuske
Level 1: Cadet

Hi matt,

My modem has been exhibiting the exact same symptoms for the last 6 or so months. I too have the bigpond 4g sierra 760s. Gets hot and randomly reboots. How do i get one of these recovery kits organised. I have not called the call centre as my experience in the past has not been too good sorting out technical issues. I have a technical background as i worked in the it industry for 12 years.

Regards 

Pete

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Pete,

The quickest way to get a faulty device replaced is to give us a call. However you can also try via LiveChat Smiley Happy

Brodie

zzcranjo
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately my inbox remains empty Smiley Sad 

I have linked my previous account with my telstra login succesfully but even so your message may have been lost in that process, I don't really know, maybe someone on your end would.

Support Team
Support Team

Heya zzcranjo,

My apologies for not having yet received a message from Matt. Smiley Sad

I have just sent you a private message with the advised link.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now